cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported UME Change Option??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

We have a SAP Netweaver Java application server that the UME is currently configured to authenticate users against LDAP using our Active Directory infrastructure.  This method has worked successfully for many years however the implemenation of another SAP product has caused us enough grief where we want to investigate whether we would be better off migrating to a UME that is sourced by an ABAP stack.  Essentially, we would be migrating the UME from LDAP to an ABAP SAP instance.  I have been unable to find very much information on migrating from LDAP to ABAP, only the opposite.  In my attempts to try this on my own, I failed miseriably and had to revert my changes back to LDAP.  Would like to know if anyone has had much experience or success that they can share their steps on how to go about such a change.  Is the method supported??  Can you change the UME from LDAP to ABAP?? 

Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you. 

Erin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you familiar with SAP note 718383? As per the note the change you are describing is "not supported". The only supported change once you have chosen LDAP is another LDAP. It is technically possible to change back to DB or ABAP but you will end up with lot of garbage in your PCD. These days there is the PCD Consistency / Clean Up tool that you could use but it won't be able to clean up everything. You might not even be able to start the AS JAVA after changing the UME data source in order to run the PCD Consistency / Clean Up tool. Search SAP notes for "718383" in order to find out which problems can occur by changing the UME data source in an unsupported way.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/718383

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick reply Samuli,

I should have stated in my original post that, yes, I did look over Note 718383 but needed some validation of what I was reading to make sure I was understanding the options correctly.  I appreciate your explaination however and agree that our options are limited after we've switched to an LDAP environment.  I am familar with the PCD check tool as we've run it in the past to clean up old usernames and objects but you are correct in that we may not be able to start the AS Java in order to execute the tool.  I ran into this problem when I first attempted switching the configuration and had to revert back to LDAP as I found the AS Java experienced too many errors and required more time to understand all that was needed.  Now that I've read your comments and those of the attached note, I don't have a very good feeling that this is possible for our environment.  Thank you again for your time and appreciate your reply. 

Erin

Answers (0)