cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUP (SMP) support of web apps and Win 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm evaluating the SAP mobile platform and looking for a way to connect with a pure web application (HTML5, JS, CSS) to SUP (without the SAP NetWeaver Gateway). I'm aware of the REST API introduced in SUP 2.2. As 2.2 isn't available yet, are there any other options?

Besides that, I haven't found much information about the plans/ roadmap to support Win 8 (Phone, RT, Pro). The upcoming REST API is one way to go, others?

Thanks,

Bernd

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have a web application that exposes some services as REST and you want to create a SUP based app that makes use of these services? If so, SUP 2.1.x also allows you to create MBOs based on REST services.

A alternative is  - if you can - to make the web application offline accessible by using phonegap / cordova and use HWC to run it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was thinking about a web application consuming REST services provided by SUP.

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Tobias, I think Bernd wants to write a web page that is rendered on Windows 8 (Pro, RT, Phone) as HTML5/CSS3/JS. Almost like an App, but deployed from a web server. And then allow that HTML5/CSS3/JS from the client device to use SUP.

Obviously in SUP 2.2 this is possible via the SUP REST API, but we in Capgemini don't have SUP 2.2 issued to us yet !!!

An earlier question in this thread was even when using SUP REST API, you can only user SUP to use Odata services (not MBO services). The examples are always consuming Netweaver Gateway services. Bernd was asking whether SUP could consume other non-SAP Odata services.

Hope that clarfies.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly, David.

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David, thanks for clarifying.

In that case, it is the alternative with using Phonegap / cordova. SUP 2.1 HWC can be used to run a Phonegap app. Later, with SUP 2.2, will have to adjust the AJAX code. The only "alternative" would be to rewrite the app to be a pure HWC app. Not really an alternative, as this app won't run inside a web server.

Now, the question only someone with access to SUP 2.2 is: the MBO created for the HWC app will stay the same for the REST exposure option in 2.2? And of course: how well is the new REST API working in real life?

Vlad
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

At the moment, yes! With REST API you can write JavaScript-based applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I didn't found any information if the REST API is usable without a NetWeaver Gateway. Anybody?

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Viadislav

With REST API I think you can write using any language, not just JavaScript. e.g. For WP8 you could use C#. Its basically just a HTTP/S socket service.

Also as Bernd says, I believe REST API is mainly to allow SUP to call Netweaver Gateway. It does not use any SUP MBO features or give you any client side database. The question is does REST API allow you to connect to non-SAP Odata services (easily) for instance a Microsoft Web Service ?