cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to support software license sales with SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all-

I'm looking for a way to use SAP to support in the process of selling software licenses. In another discussion I read about the suggestion to use a 'non stock item' (material type NLAG/item category NLAG). I'm still thinking about how to handle matters like:

• license validity period (start- and end-date), manage license expiration-dates ...
  • billing (with billing plan?)

Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there is a "SAP Best Practice" for this topic?

thx

Ben

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

p_zweipfenning
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ben,

have a look at this link: http://help.sap.com/bp_htsw603/BBLibrary/HTML/477_EN_US.htm

Best regards,

Pascal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Pascal-

Thanks for the link! Interesting documentation.

This SAP Best Practice shows the use of contracts, where the validity period is on contract (header level). I see a number of "challenges" with this:

when I sell hardware and a software-license, it suggests we need a regular sales order and a contract . . . Or are there other ways to deal with this

when I sell various software licenses (different types of software), each with it's own validty period. My understanding from the 'best practice' is that you need 2 contracts. Is that really the case?

kind regards,

Ben

p_zweipfenning
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ben,

The validity period is indeed on header level. Maybe master contracts could be a solution. You create one master contract after which you create several reference contracts for each software license. with it's own validity.

Best regards,

Pascal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Pascal-

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you possibilities to do something on item-level? E.g. when selling hardware and a software license in one deal?

thx

Ben

p_zweipfenning
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ben,

I had a quick look in our system: have a look at standard SAP contract type 'MV' (Rental contract). At item level there is a 'Contract date' tab which holds the validity dates at item level. You can set date rules, setup a billing plan, cancellation rules, register the installation dates, dismantling dates etc. This is probably exactly what you need.

Success with it.

P.S. are you working with ASML?

Best regards,

Pascal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Pascal-

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the late reaction. What you are telling here seems indeed something that I'm looking for. And yes I'm working with ASML now.

BCnU

Ben

stefan_walter7
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (0)