cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see Oracle Server DataSource in Crystal 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed Crystal Reports 2011 SP4 (version 14) on Windows Server 2008. When I try to create a connection I can't see the Oracle Server option. I have Oracle 11g installed in the server (not the client).  Is there any missing setting? The crdb_oracle.dll is in the winn32_X86 path.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

If the Driver does not show up in the Database Wizard it's because Cr can't find the client.

32 bit Client needs to be installed from where ever you are running Crystal Reports. It's a 32 bit application so it requires the 32 bit client to be installed.

Also, you may or should have the Oracle\bin folder int he PATH statement, Oracles installer should put it there. CR needs it to find the client install folder.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

I have a simiilar question.  I had previously used Crystal Reports version 10 on an XP pro laptop to run reports agaist Oracle based tables and views. I was able to access the databases through both ODBC and Oracle server options. I have been migrated to a Windows 7 laptop and have had Crystal reports 2011 installed.  I have not been able to connect to the databases through either method. When I enter the same information into the Oracle server connect screens I get an unknown database connection error. Under the 32bit ODBC administrator the Oracle ORAhome92 driver selection initially did not show up.  the desktop IT folks and I attempted to copy the existing DLL driver file into the sysWOW64 directory.  I believe that made the ORAhome92 driver visible in the driver section of the 32bit ODBC administrator but the version, comapny, file and date fields are blank  .  We were uable to add a DSN with this driver selected. The error message instructed us to reinstal the driver.  We downloaded  the most recent Oracle ODBC driver and attempted to install it but that seemed to just create directorys and files in the install location. Attempts to add a new DSN had similar results. any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hi Steven,

Same applies but in your case I suggest NEVER to manually copy Oracle files, or any other for that matter. Software installs are so complex these days with references to the Registry and 32/64 bit platforms attempting to do so usually breaks more stuff than it fixes.

I suggest contacting Oracle to determine why you can't connect or setup/configure a DSN. CR works fine with Oracle, you coudl try to use the Oracle driver in the Database Connection Wizard rather than ODBC. If that doesn't work or if you can't see it then update the PATH to include the Oracle Client\bin folder and CR shoudl work then.

Good luck

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the IT person had not done an install on this version before.  I may have steered her down the wrong path in trying to move the driver over. 

The Oracle server driver in the Database Connection Wizard was the one that gave me the Unknown Database connection error.  Where is the PATH defined in Windows 7?  Do you know if the 32 bit drivers need to be installed differently to be accessed by the 32 bit ODBC administrator?

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos

CR is a 32 bit app so it requires the 32 bit client installed.

In Windows 7 it's the Environment Variable, just type it in the lower left search line and it will bring up the link. For ODBC do the same, search line, and it will bring up both 32 and 64 bit Admin's.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

I installed the 32bit client and that solved the problem.

Thanks so much!

Yurima

Former Member
0 Kudos

I reinstalled the Oracle 11 client and that appears to have solved the issue with the Oracle server connection. With the ODBC source i was able to set up i am able to get to the database but only see stored procedures. I do not see any tables.  The Oracle server access solves my problem but I am curious which method would be better and what needs to be changed to see the tables.

Thanks again

0 Kudos

Hi Steven,

Oracle is typcally known for a large number of DB Objects. CR Designer only has so much resources available to it so you will typically not see all of the Tables, SP's, Views etc. To be able to see them after connecting to the DB right click on the connection and selection Options. Filter on Owner or table names etc. Try checking off the types you don't need to see first.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

since you helped on the Oracle issue on Crystal 2011 I was wondering what would apply to Crystal Server 2011.  I am assuming that we need to have the Oracle client installed on the Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit server in order to run the reprots developed on Crystal Reports 2011. Is this correct or is ther another method for the Server version?

Thanks,

Steve Lynn

Answers (0)