cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career oppurtunities in SAP variant configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I'm a masters student in economics and business administration and planning to write my thesis in the area of SAP Variant Configuration(VC). I hold a bachelor degree in engineering and have 2.5 years of experience in SAP BASIS but no functional experience.

As I was searching the internet the amount of jobs posted or material/documents shared that are related to SAP - VC is very less. Hardly I was able to see the word 'SAP Variant Configuration' in any job opening that is being posted in the internet.

1. Could someone please tell me about the career prospects with SAP VC.

2. Are there consultants who work only on Variant configuration or is VC used only as a sub topic inside other modules. 

3. What are the essential things that I should learn about SAP VC for a good entry level career.

Thanks and Regards

Thileepan P

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thileepan Paulraj,

SAP variant Configuration is not a common functionality  and thats why you will find very few specific openings, but at the same time as its a niche skill set its not commonly available, so belive me if you have it under your belt chances of getting job increases with it.

SAP VC is not a module in SAP , its a combination of SAP PP & SD, and when a PP or SD consultant have a additional VC skill set it provide him/her a edge to distinguish from other consultants from same core module area.

VC is mostly use in Automobile Industries, Pump Industries, Mill products, and many more.

1. Could someone please tell me about the career prospects with SAP VC.

2. Are there consultants who work only on Variant configuration or is VC used only as a sub topic inside other modules. 

3. What are the essential things that I should learn about SAP VC for a good entry level career.

1 and 2 from you i already tried to cover in my above reply.

about 3 i would suggest , please check SAP certification site and there you will find a specific course in SAP PLM design to meet basic requirement of VC. Also i would i encourage you to opt for a core module like PP or SD for increasing worry free job hunting.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, yours is a very helpful reply.

I found a classroom training "Variant Configuration1: Modelling and integration" in the certifications website and looked at the contents of the course. Could you please suggest me a book or any other resource from where i can learn VC effectively. I'm planning to buy the book "Variant Configuration with SAP" from SAP Press, do you have any idea about that book?

Thanks

Thileepan P

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thileepan Paulraj,

Normaly the course material is provided by SAP when you enroll for thraining at any authorize institue.

Its the information i have from institue at India, you better contact SAP if you want this course material , as per my knowledge its not available for sale.

Regarding book or information , The best help i get till date is help.sap.com

below is the link to VC section 

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/92/58d455417011d189ec0000e81ddfac/frameset.htm

so start reading it , once you will have SAP system to hand on , you will be more clear with concept.

also you can post your question and issues in below SDN forum.

http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/plm-classification-and-variant-configuration

Here also you will get lots of real time scenarios and issue faced by professionals in different business. It will  definetly help you.

Thanks for marking thread helpfull.

Happy Learning.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you

I have already started reading the document from help.sap.com, will continue doing it.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check the blog below, one more approach for VC using classes.

http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/manufacturing-pp/blog/2012/06/22/classes-as-place-holders-component...

Rate and comment if you like it.

Thanks

Ritesh

Answers (0)