cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Results recording and batch classification question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

At my client, the user wants to record the results twice for the same characteristic tested with two different methods.

For example:

Master Insp Characteristic
Method
Test Result
ViscosityA20 cPs
ViscosityB25 cPs

I think in the inspection plan I can maintain the same MIC twice with 2 different methods assigned like above.

But the problem is, after the results recording which of the above value goes to the batch classification? I guess the second result overwrites the first one on the class characteristic 'Viscosity' in the batch?

We are using the values in batch classification to print the CoA, but the user wants to print both the above test results for the same characteristic and also print the method.

Is there a solution for the above? Or, should I need to maintain two separate Batch class characteristics like; 'Viscosity A' and 'Viscosity B' ? If that is the case then I am afraid I would have to duplicate or triplicate all my 1000 class characteristics as per the test method 😞

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the second test method actually truly tested or is it really a calculation based on the first viscosity result?

For instance, you test and report in CPS  but need to also report in cST or SSU's.

If this is the case you can usually set up your second batch characteristic to be calculated using variant config from the first viscosity result.  Or you can report the same characteristic out twice in the COA profile and change the UOM to be used.  If they UOM's are in the same family and you've maintained a conversion factor in config, the COA profile will automaticaly convert it.  I.e. ppm to ppb.

If this is not the case, and you really have two different test methods, and both tests are actually performed in the lab, then you really need to set up two different MIC's and two matching general characteristics.  (It's also just the 'right' thing to do, )  Because of the huge variety of temperature ranges and other related test parameters for viscosity testing,  you can easily wind up with 100's of viscosity characteristics.

I recommend you come up with a very specific naming process for your viscosity tests.  Mainly so that you can easily find the right viscosity tests and you don't wind up making unncessary duplicate test.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.

Yes I agree with you and that's what I did thought to go for different MICs, because it is really 2 different test methods that are tested in the lab for the same characteristic. And unfortunately in SAP the batch classification is not made unique at the combination of 'method+general characteristic'. This is my opinion.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well if you have two different tests, then you should have two different characteristics on the batch. 

Without having some of the viscosity test parameters in the description of the test, the value is meaningless. 

"Viscosity" is meaningless.

"Brookfield@90F,4000RPM, Spindle 4" tells me what the test is.

FF

Answers (0)