Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between MDS_Log and MDS_Audit

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I want to know few details about the Logs that we see under the MDS,MDIS and MDSS.

1. What is the difference between MDS_Log and MDS_Audit.

2. Report is specific to repository and Logs are specific to servers. Hence reports will tell us more specifically about the activities that are being done in Repository. Apart from this what major difference does Log and Reports have?

3. What are Traces?

4. How effectively can I use them to identify the issues/errors.

Please help!

Regards,

Shanthi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shanthi,

I will try to answer your questions one by one:

Ques: What is the difference between MDS_Log and MDS_Audit.

Answer: MDS_Audit will log only the logon attempts that were performed on MDS server. So it will only have the details related to various logons happened for specific Master Data Server.

MDS_Log is the main log file which logs all the activities related to Master Data server e.g. repository load, unload, Port scan, file import, logon error and all such stuff.

Ques: Report is specific to repository and Logs are specific to servers. Hence reports will tell us more specifically about the activities that are being done in Repository. Apart from this what major difference does Log and Reports have?

Answer: Reports are created specific to some activity performed on a repository. For example, if you are doing a Verify check on the repository, it will generate detailed report of all the actions performed during Verify activity. Similarly for Repository Load there will be a report generated.

And yes, report will have more details specific to that activity than logs appearing in MDS logs.

Ques: What are Traces?

Answer: Traces are enabled to debug activities and behaviours of the Master Data Server. So it will contain more details at programming level for analyzing some issue that might appear in MDM. For Example, Socket error occuring while connecting to MDM system using some Java API. These Traces are generally analyzed by SAP to check and resolve issue.

Ques: How effectively can I use them to identify the issues/errors

Answer: As mentioned in above answer, generally SAP development team analyzes Traces to check various call happening to different modules and external system to find out the root cause of the issue.

Please let me know if you need any other information. I would try to provide the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj