cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure Standalone Gateway Server for DB13 on distributed system to work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know this question has been asked to death but trust me I've already looked hard but couldn't find the answer. So far I couldn't find any SAP Notes related to this other than saying "to install standalone gateway server on the DB host" and that's it.

So here's my scenario:

I. ERP environment

ERP SID: PRD

Host1: Oracle Database

Host 2: Central Instance

Host 3: Application Server

So you are already familiar with the problem. BR* jobs scheduled via DB13 will not work due to SAPXPG error. Solution of course is to install standalone gateway server in DBHOST (Host2)  since rsh is not allowed in our environment.

II. Standalone Gateway Environment

Gateway SID: GWD

Installation Server: Host 2 (same as PRD DB server)

After which I copied the sapxpg and br* executables to the GWD exe directory /sapmnt/GWD/exe and now the SAPXPG_DBDEST_XXX RFC connection works!

But my DB13 jobs are still failing! It seems like when I'm using the GWD gateway, it was trying to execute brconnect as gwdadm which of course has no permission on Oracle binaries! Oracle folders are owned by oraprd:dba so even if gwdadm is part of sapsys, it still will not work.

My question is: After installing the standalone gateway, what next steps are needed to configure in the gateway server to allow it to run DB13 jobs, given that the gateway server has a different SID!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You need to add gwdadm user to the dba group of the UNIX server.

This way it will have permissions to the ORACLE binaries.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

EDIT: The gateway info should have been:

II. Standalone Gateway Environment

Gateway SID: GWD

Installation Server: Host 1 (same as PRD DB server)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

Could you share the details of the error you get when you schedule backup using db13.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

When running Online Backup, I'm getting the following error:

BR0252E Function fopen() failed for '/oracle/PRD/sapbackup/bekimxdr.anf' at location main-9

BR0253E errno 13: Permission denied

For CHeckDB, I'm getting the following error:

BR0613E Database instance PRD is shut down

I am expecting these errors because I think brconnect is being run as gwdadm (OS user of Gateway server)!

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

Could you change the permission to 777 for the below filesystem and retry backup using db13.

/oracle/PRD/sapbackup

/oracle/PRD/sapcheck

/oracle/PRD/saptrace

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes. You are correct.

Please login as orasid and try to take a backup...

Why are you getting Database instance PRD is shut down this error. Please check whether DB is up as well as R3trans -d is working or not

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

You need to install GWD on Host1 which is your DB server. Then adjust RFC SAPXPG_DBDES_XXX_FRC to have GWD entries. Doing these 2 steps will enable you to take backup using db13.

Note: Ensure that /sapmnt/<SID>/exe is shared on all the hosts.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Sorry,my mistake, GWD gateway server is installed in Host1 (db server) not Host 2

/sapmnt/PRD/exe is shared across the 3 hosts. Running brtools in OS level as oraprd doesn't have any problems.