cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of Process Chains in DP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are looking to measure performance of Process Chains in DP. The evaluation parameters are time taken to execute & the amount of data processed during the run. How to do the same?

Also is it possible to evaluate the performance of all the jobs that are part of the process chains separately? If yes..then how?

regards,

Mohit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohit,

Process chain has logs. check logs to see the time taken for each variant. check the volume of data used in each variant. Tabulate this for a month and see if you get predictable information on run times. Use parallelization in all DP background jobs. You also need to pay attention to available work processes when the process chain runs. You can save logs for as long as you wish but this consumes performance again...esp. DB logs getting full is not a good sign.

In general, most time taken in process chains is in running macros in background. This is esp. if the level of aggregation used for macros is more granular and the time horion is "Total" and macro is set to "details all" mode. You cant do much to improve this at "fucntional" level.. apart for parallelization.

If your objective is to make things fast then you need to have a strategy in place to break process chains into sensible chunks and run them at sensible times, depening on what planners expect in interactive planning and how often. e.g. may be you need not run some macros everyday. You need to run statistical forecast only once a month or once every 15 days. This way performance can only be a pain some times but not all times. .

Hope this helps in someway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Borat..Thanks for the reply.

How & where I can see the volume of data generated in each of the variant?

regards,

Mohit

sourabh_jain66
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohit,

Best way forward here is to ask your basis team to monitor the performance of the jobs or process chains.

Assigning the task to people, who can do it best

Rgds

Sourabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Mohit,

I missed to see you ask a question

How & where I can see the volume of data generated in each of the variant?

Right click on the process chain job and display the variant. e.g. if this is a macro, you will see in the resp. job the number of planning objects by clicking on the number of planning objects. you then go to the data view and find out how many iterations does this macro have. This is a rough way to know the data volumes processed by each variant. similarly for other jobs like e.g. create CVC's you can check the number of char combs the job is generating

Another way is check the spool

Another way is check logs...if logs are checked in the job.

If you think the volumes per job are large and it takes a lot of time, you can break down your jobs and run them in parallel. This would mean re-engineering the process chains.

Hope this helps you visualize and connect to your ultimate objectives

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Answers (0)