Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCC - Complex COBOL copybook layout

former_member185846
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I've a complex non-EDI file with multiple varying length records. I would need to split the records based on 2 fields (5 different records with header and associated line items) and post correspondign IDocs into SAP, I'm thinking to read each record as a string with file adapter (without FCC) and split into 5 different files based on those key fields. 5 more sender channels to read those files individually and post as IDocs.

Is it a proper design?? Or should I consider using Conversion Agent or Seeburger BIC to convert such complex file layouts?? If so, please suggest which is better as we're using Seeburger already for AS2 adapter.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

you can use BIC-adapter as suggested by Stefan Hilpp. In case you decide to use file adapter ,then it is better that you use an FCC. Thus the input to first mapping will be an xml instead simple string. Then with a java mapping you can split create the target xml structure. In Java mapping its easier to manipulate the XML instead   of string.  The FCC will be simple one , just to convert each row of the file into xml rows. Thus

a,b,c

emf,g,h,h,j

the above two lines in line will become

<message>

<row>a,b,c</row>

<row>emf,g,h,h,j</row>

</message>

Now in the java mapping you can access each element of the row and put in the target format you need.

Regards

Anupam

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anupam,

with using the BIC, you have the chance to create a detailed message, where each field in the source structure is provided in an own XML-tag, like

<message>

<row_1>a</row_1>

<row_2>b</row_2>

<row_3>c</row_3>

</message>

This structure can be imported as "external definition" so you can easily create a message-mapping (in case you are not that familiar with Java and prefer to work with the functionality of the PI mapping tool).

You can also store the original file in your XI-Message as attachment for later reference.

The whole process would in general work like when using the BIC-Module for standard EDI-transactions (like ANSIX12, EDIFACT).

The only difference is, that for the standard EDI-types (ANSIX12, EDIFACT..), all messages are already available as external definitions, while for own flatfile-structures, you would have to define this structure at the beginning.

Regards

Stefan 

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thank you so much for the wonderful explanation.

Regards

Anupam

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you as well

Regards

Stefan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185846
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan and Anupam. Sorry, I don't know why am unable to reward points for the answers.

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well...it seems it has worked.after all... thanks

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

sounds like a typical BIC-Adapter use-case to me.

Regards

Stefan