cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arch completes but deletion job fails if nothing to be deleted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have setup the archive job. Step 1 finishes fine i..e either it archives or returns no records to be archived based on the criteria we have set. Step 2 starts and if it doesn't see anything that is to be deleted, it fails with error - Error E118(BA) in funtion ARCHIVE_OPEN_FOR_DELETE.     When it does pickup some archived items that have reached the retention for deletion, it deletes them and the job successfully finishes.   Is this standard behaviour or can we avoid the cancellation via any setting or config. Any thoughts

Regards

Kal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Below link shows the order of calling .

help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/pt/04/52ae3a6900b631e10000000a114084/content.htm

Go through the below links aswell.

www.se80.co.uk/sapfms/a/arch/archive_open_for_delete.htm

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer

I am not from ABAP however my query was more inclined towards why in the sap standard archiving methodology, the job gets cancelled when the delete job cannot find an archived session that has reached retention and it runs fine when it does find a session that reached retention.  Shouldn't the delete job simply say there are no archive sessions that have reached retention and finish successfully just like the step1 RSXMB_ARCHIVE_PLAN which internally spawns a ARV_BC_XMB* job which finishes successfully with the log "Zero XML messages archived" or " XX XML messages archived".

I have run step 2 online and when the prompt which shows possible sessions that can be deleted, if its blank in here and you click the tick mark, you get the same error.  Ideally, the logic should internally check if there are no sessions and job should end with no sessions available for deletion or something.

Is there anything in the configuration, that can control this. I have checked transaction AOBJ, where there is a checkbox for deletion job, but if we uncheck and schedule the archive job again, the deletion step wont get scheduled and we have to manually run the deletion program which is not recommended. Any other thoughts please.

Regards

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

How is it working for others. When step2(RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES) has no archived sessions to delete, is the job failing for you too. Can you share your experience. I will log a message with SAP shortly but before that wanted to check again

Regards

Kalyan