SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the right SAP way to handle multiple UOM for an article

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to check what is the proper way in SAP to handle below retail scenario:

Store receives a box of chocolate bars. In the box, i have 6 items. On the floor, we sell box and individual chocolate bar.

In this case, we create 2 articles:

Article A: Box of cholocate bars.

Article B: chocolate bar

is it necessary to create 2 articles?

If 2 articles, how could I link these 2 articles?

I was thinking to use one article with multiple UOM. (Box and Each).

UOM (Box) will assign to one bar-code for sales-scanning.

UOB (each) will also assign to another bar-code for sales-scanning.

Is this the correct way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thanks for the reply. I think in my opinion, I will need to create a separate article (first option)

Second option to maintain sales units and UOM seems perfect solution to me. But it does not work if I want to sell the box and chocolate at different pricing. For example: chocolate bar SGD1.00. If buy box of 6, it will be SGD5.00.

Unless we could tackle the selling price issue, first option, I think, is the way to go.

Correct if I am wrong. Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tobias_König
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

in the end, both ways are possible - this is depending on the processes, you would like to run in your SAP System.

First variant: Pro: you can see stock balance for single bars and boxes. Problem: a) if the customer takes a bar out of a box, your stock for the bar will get incorrect. b) if you want to do some reporting on chocalate bars, you have to link the articles somehow via custom development.

Second variant: Pro: you don't have to link the articles, sales processes run smooth. Problem: you only have stock balance for chocalate bars (Base UOM). This could cause problems in logistic processes.

I would mostly prefer the second variant, but in some assortments, the first way is the better.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no need to create two article master records in this case; you can define Base UOM as each and maintain alternate UOM as box with conversion factor as 1 box equals to 6 each units.

Regards

Saket

0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree with the above approach to maintain with both units and conversion factors. You also need to have UPCs for both units and send them to POS.

Thanks,

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thanks for the reply. I think in my opinion, I will need to create a separate article (first option)

Second option to maintain sales units and UOM seems perfect solution to me. But it does not work if I want to sell the box and chocolate at different pricing. For example: chocolate bar SGD1.00. If buy box of 6, it will be SGD5.00.

Unless we could tackle the selling price issue, first option, I think, is the way to go.

Correct if I am wrong. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

the pricing topic is no issue in my opinion.

As mentioned above, you should have a different UPC for the box of 6. You can also maintain (and transfer to POS) a price per UPC. So - in you case - you should maintain a price for the UPC of the bar and you should maintain a price for the UPC of the box of 6.

Both will be transfered to POS and the POS system has to use the correct price, depending on which UPC gets scanned. Should be no issue here.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

really appreciate your reply. few days ago, i really tried to do below scenario under one article:

Same one article: chocolate bar.

UPC1: box of 6: SGD5.00

UPC2: each: SGD1.00

i tried many different ways and could not get above pricing. The system will convert to the latest price using conversion factor either way. I could not get different price based on different UOM for the same article.

Please point me direction. really appreciate.

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

I don't know the process and functionality you're working with.

In SAP Retail, it should be no problem to provide the POS system with prices per UPC. This is only a matter of the customizing settings for pricing regarding POS Outbound.

When selling an item, the POS System usually sends back the price for which the item is sold. There is no pricing procedure in POS inbound. So, if POS system sends back, that UPC1 is sold für 5 SGD, the stock in SAP is reduced by 6 PCE (if there is a box with 6 PCE as differen UOM). The price is 5 SGD.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Dear Tobias,

i think i missed out a function in SAP ECC.

Could you please let me know what transaction code will let you key in:

UPC1: box of 6: SGD5.00

UPC2: each: SGD1.00

I have an issue that SAP doesn't allow to have different pricing for different UOM in pricing maintenance screen. (i even tried tcode: VK11).

1) I key in article with UOM(box of 6) : SGD5.00

2) subsequently, I key in article with UOM (each) : SGD1.00.

3) system will automatically revert the UOM(box of 6) to SGD6.00 based on conversion factor.

Thanks for your advice all the time.

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

for the case you described, you need an according Access Sequences (e.g. with Access 152 Sales Org./Dist. Channel/Plant/Material/Sales Unit/Customer) in customizing settings for pricing for your condition type.

As mentioned above, in my opinion, you could also maintain a price on UPC. That should be possible for condition type VKP0 in SAP Standard.

Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos

Fully understood now. Thanks.