cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Import Manager "Cannot connect to source" (Oracle)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings, I am trying to connect to Oracle source using SAP Import Manager.

We are currently running Windows 64Bit, Oracle 11.2, SAP MDM 7.1.

I am getting pass the point of connecting to the repository  i.e.

- Connect to MDM Repository -

Repository: TEMP [hostname]

Language: English [US]

User: Admin

Password: sapmdm

But when I attempt to connect to Source using the following information:

Type: Oracle

Remote System: MDM

DBMS server: LOCALHOST:1521

Database: ORACLE_SID

User: system

Password: <system password>

or

User: Admin

Passwrod: sapmdm

I receive an error of: "Error Connecting to Source: Unable to connect to source".

In the MDS_Audit file, I am seeing the following:

<repositoryAdmin host=="<localhost>" application name=""SAP MDM Syndication Server"">

<logon status=""failure"" reason=="Invalid password""><User name=="Admin""/>

*** It seems like I am using the wrong password to connect but it is the same password I used before...

I saw message about system user not found but when I view the log again after running manager with this user.. I did not see this message..??

Please advise.

Thank you in advance...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margie,

It's looks like this is database password related problem. The way, you are connecting with ORACLE database, is absolutely correct.

DBMS server: LOCALHOST:1521

Database: ORACLE_SID

User: system                                  <database user>

Password: <system password>       <database user password>

Just FYI, while connecting Import Manager with database, User Name & Password must be of database, rather repository.

Check the following Things:

1. This 'system' user should be present in ORACLE_SID database, then only you will be able to connect with this database.
  2. Try to access ORACLE_SID database via ORACLE using same user (system) and it's password.

Let me know, if this problem still persists.

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

I tested the system password from sqlplus and had no problems connecting to the Oracle database:

SQL> connect

Enter user-name: system

Enter password: <system password>

Connected.

?

Also, can this be a SAP note 1593348 - Import from Oracle source with Import Manager fails issue...

Also, when I tried to connect to the Import Manager... nothing showed up in the MDS_Logs but when I mounted the SAP MDM Server ... I recevied activity from the logs.

I received the following: "Server logon failed, Invalid password, MDSPublicServerCommand_AuthorizeSessionForServer,, Non-user MDS operation, server_global,,,

???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margie,

I read SAP Note # 1593348. It is mentioned there:

'In order to connect to an Oracle DBMS from the Import Manager you have to have an Oracle 32 bit Client on the same system as the IM GUI. Since IM GUI is a 32 bit app it will not work with the 64 bit version of the Oracle client.'

Could you please check if your Oracle DBMS is 64 bit? If Yes, SAP suggested following solutions/workarounds in the same SAP Note:

1. Install the 32 bit Oracle client on your machine.
  2. Link to the relevant tables from MS Access and then run the import from MS Access.
  3. Export the relevant data from the Oracle DBMS and import it with the Import Manager or import server.

Out of all three workarounds, I would recommend you to go with 1st one. You can reach out to your company's IT team to get 32bit Oracle client installed on the same machine, where you've installed Import Manager.

Hope, it will solve your problem.

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sharma, thank you so much for your help... can you elborate a little on how to do step 2 and 3?? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margie,

Step 2 and 3 are very simple.

Step 2: You need to extract data into MS Access from your Oracle database, and then use Source type as MS access and import the data into MDM system(after mapping all the fields).

Step 3: You can ask your Oracle DB administrator to provide you required data in Text or Excel format.

Then connect to this source file in Import Manager(using Text or Excel source type) and then import data into MDM after doing the mapping.

I hope this should solve your issue now. Please check and let us know.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. So once I install the 32bit client ... this is all I need to do to be able to connect to the Oracle db.

I am still getting an error message when using a 32bit client on my PC...

I am using Oracle client 11.2.0.1 on Windows Vista SP2

The parameters I am using are:

DBMS server: MDMhostname.domain.ec.com\1527

Database: MDL (Oracle SID)

User: system

Password: <system password>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margie,

For steps 2 and 3, you only need to extract data and upload into MDM system.

For Step 1, it should not give any error message as specified in the SAP Note. But may be there are some other configuration settings to be done before you are able to import the data.

I would suggest to raise an OSS message for this so that SAP can help you getting the exact solution. Please let me know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margie,

Below is the explanation of Option 2 and Option 3:

Option 2: Follow the below mentioned steps to download data from Oracle to MS-Access and import into MDM:

• Create DSN for Oracle
  • Configure and connect MS-Access with Oracle
  • Connect with the data source and link with required table
  • Save the data in MS-Acess database
  • Connect MDM with MS-Access and import the data

Note: Refer to the link for more information:

1. Connect Oracle via MS-Access - 1
  2. Connect Oracle via MS-Access - 2

Option 3: Follow the below mentioned steps to download data from Oracle to Excel and to import into MDM

• Open Excel
  • Open Data--> Get External Data --> From Other Sources --> From Data Connection Wizard.
  • Select Microsoft Data Access - OLE Provider for Oracle from Data Connection Wizard.
  • Enter Oracle server name, the required user and password.
  • Select Database and Table.
  • Enter table description
  • Import data into cells
  • Save the sheet and Connect with Import Manager
  • Create a new map for Excel, map the appropriate fields and import the data.

Note: Refer to the link for more information:

1. Connect Oracle via Excel

I would suggest you to go with Option 3 now, if this will not work then go with Option 2. You can also ask to your Oracle team extract the data of the required tables and give it to your in Excel format then you cal load it into MDM.

As you are still getting the error with Option 1, could you let me know the following things:

1. Did you try to connect with Oracle server via new installed Oracle client on your machine?
  2. Could you share the Oracle client configuration, if you did to access Oracle server?

Thx/ -Tarun

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margie,

If it is saying that username or password is incorrect, then you need to check if you are using correct password for user "system"(you can try with username "System" as well).

You can try logging in to Database system using this password to ensure that you are using the correct one.

Also you can check if user - system has all the permissions and accesses at database level.

Please check and let me know your observations.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to connect successfully to the Oracle database using the system account ... but still having issues when connecting to the source.

From the mdss_log, I am getting the following message:

MDS Host = localhost:59950, RepTag = 'MDL <MDL [Oracle]>" Could not authorize repository session.

??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Margie,

Yes SAP Note 1593348 tells you the reason of the problem you are facing.

Since Import Manager is a 32 bit GUI so it is not able to connect to 64 bit Oracle client.

As mentioned in teh SAP Note, you can install 32 bit Oracle client on your machine and then connect to the Oracle database. This should solve your problem.

Another workaround mentioned is to extract data from Oracle database and then import it through Import Manager using appropriate file format.

3rd workaround mentioned is that you can extract data to MS Access database using MS Access capabilities and then use this MS access database for Import of data into MDM.

So kindly follow any one of the mentioned workarounds and it should solve your issue.

Please let me know your observations.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush