cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous System Copy - Database Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Is there any issues if I has to perform an HSC from a system that has the database version 9 and the target has the database version8?

Thank you so much,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Even though the DBMS software is same in old and new system, you will only be able to use the r3load based system copy procedure as the DB version is different. As i said before, try restoring your DB, if that works, the other system copy steps also should.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you talking about Heterogeneous Migration?

Let me tell you the process in a simple way.

If you use sapinst, there is a step where it would ask you for the following:-

Source System

1. DBSID (Database Id)

2. Database Host

3. Source DB

4. Source OS

Target System

1. Target Database Type

So here you can specify your requirements.

Let me know if you have other issues.

<removed_by_moderator>

* Do not ask for points!

Read the "Rules of Engagement"

Thanks,

Santanu

Message was edited by: Juan Reyes

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not heterogneous because the database will be the same. The only difference here is the database version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Whatever the version of the DB in the source and the Target , if the DB is same, then it is a homogenous system copy.

If DB & OS is same in both source and target it is homogenous system copy. ( Watever the version of DB and OS in the source and Target)

If either DB & OS is different in both source and target it is hetergenous system copy.

Hope it is clear

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As details provided before, you can backup and restore DB only with of Source and Target system are  in SAME DB Version as well as patch level.

If you wish to use a latest DB version in the Target system, in that you can go for System Export & Import  which WILL definetly work for you.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marilia

For DB2 trying to restore from higher version to a lower version is not going to work. If you want you can do an upgrade along with the restore. It will cut down your time also.

If DB is on a different fixpack level then restore is a possibility but not with entirely different version. Also you will have to use offline backup as log formats will be different.

Checked with one of my colleague too and he was also of the same opinion.

Regards

Amit Padmawar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HSC means you will need to restore the backup of source to the target system. More then likely, your database system will complain and not allow this. I have done it with a different release and it complained. I have seen if it is a patch difference it works but with an entire release, it may not. you can give it a try, if it gets restored, probably rest of the steps will go through.

Yogesh

0 Kudos

If you can successfully restore and open the database on version 8, there should not be any problems.

Mind your kernel versions and DBSL version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the person posting the question is running Oracle the homogeneous system copy is not supported between different database versions. The only option would be use the heterogeneous system copy aka. R3load. Even then there might be restrictions but we won't know for sure before the person posting the question shares the technical details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli,

sorry, it is not oracle. It is DB2 database and SAP R/3 Enterprise.

The OS Is HP-UX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Phew, SAP R/3 Enterprise, really? Anyway, in that case homogeneous system copy is not possible. In case of DB2 the target release must be equal (or higher) to the source release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are not providing enough details. On which database? Oracle? What operating system? What SAP version?