cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade failing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I'm going through the process of upgrading the Kernel.  We are running 720_REL, 64 bit, Unicode on Solaris 10 – current patch level 201.  Our system is ERP6 EHP5.

The stack I've downloaded includes Kernel patch level 400.  I've tried installing this (and also patch level 300) but get the same problem with both of these.  When I revert to 201 the system still works OK.

I have successfully upgraded the Host Agent using the one included in the stack.

I now have 3 directories under /sapmnt/<SID>:

• exe (patch level 201)
  • exe_300
  • exe_400

When I close the system & rename the directories (exe --> exe_201 & exe_400 --> exe) I restart the host agent (to force a restart of saposcol), then restart SAP.

The database opens OK & the application appears to begin correctly.  When I try to connect to the application using SAPGui the dw.sap<SID>_DVEBMGS00 processes die.

I then get this error from SAPGui:

application server shutdown

Component DPTM Return Code -17

Release 720

Version 10

Return Code -17

counter 1

I have double checked permissions in the 3 subdirectories & all permissions are the same (the newer kernels have a few extra files).

I have found some references to similar problems as this using Google but people seem to be indicating that I'm getting a network error.  Our network must be OK because the 201 version kernel works fine.

Can anyone advise why this might be failing?

Thanks, Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good Day

Please check the developer traces (dev_w0) and also provide the output for this command.

sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetVersionInfo

Note : Replace 00 with the right system number

Cheers

RB

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As sugegsted by Reagan I manually copied the kernel to the local directory.  I used find . -print | cpio -pumdB

So all files from the kernel are now in the local directory (/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe) and it now works!

I can open & close the system OK, I can login (previously all the dw processes died when I tried this) & if I run sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetVersionInfo the files it reports are patch level 400 not 201.

Many thanks but I assume I still have a more fundamental problem such that sapcpe isn't working correctly.

I need to fix this hopefully before I start putting the new kernel & associated patches onto our QA and Prod systems.

If anyone can offer any suggestions I'd be very grateful?

Chris

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Chris

I believe you put the new kernel in /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64

Please list all the files ending with .lst in the /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64

Switch to hrdadm and execute sapcpe like this:

/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/sapcpe /usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe pf=/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/profile/HRD_DVEBMGS00_devsap list:/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/instance.lst

NB: You probably need to run it for all the files ending with .lst

Once done run this command as hrdadm

Please let us know.

Cheers

RB

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi chris,

Good to hear that!!

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan

Thanks for the further suggestion - I will get back to you but I need to continue wiht patching for now.  I'll be in touch.

Regards Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all the replies.  I think I can see why it's failing but I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

I ran

as recommended by Reagan.  What I see is that after installing the 400 patch the local directory is still running 201:

> /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/run/sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetVersionInfo

15.01.2013 11:46:15
GetVersionInfo
OK
Filename, VersionInfo, Time
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/sapstartsrv, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20  4:32:46
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/disp+work, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 19 2012, 20:13:48), sun_64, 2012 03 21 08 28:15
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/gwrd, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 19 2012, 20:13:48), sun_64, 2012 03 20 03:28:1 /usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/msg_server, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 0 :22:46
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/dboraslib.so, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 19 2012, 20:13:48), sun_64, 2012 03 19 19:37:19
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/enserver, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 04: 6:13
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/icman, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 04:17: 6
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/sapwebdisp, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 0 :18:39
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/jcontrol, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 04: 3:55
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/jlaunch, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 04:4 :03
/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/exe/jstart, 720, patch 201, changelist 1315677, optu (Mar 20 2012, 03:09:56), sun_64, 2012 03 20 04:42 21
>

I assume sapcpe should fix this?  I tried running sapcpe on the command line

sapcpe pf=/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/profile/HRD_DVEBMGS00_devsap

but discovered that we had no files defined in /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64.

I copied the file sapcpeft from the new kernel to this directory but it's now looking for all files listed here in /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64 which is empty apart form the file I've just copied.

Do I need to somehow tell the program to look in the central direcotry for source files?  Where is this defined (not in the Instance profile file from what I can see).

Maybe we missed a step when we upgraded from 4.7 to ERP6 last year?

Thanks, Chris

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi chris,

Did you try to replace the kernal of /sapmnt/SID/exe with the new 300 or 400.

Do the same in /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe and /usr/sap/SID/SCS01/exe

Please let me know.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good Day Chris

Please check the value of the profile parameter DIR_CT_RUN

Suggest you to put the new kernel in that directory (DIR_CT_RUN) and run sapcpe as described in the SAP Note 1636252

Start SAP and re-execute the command under hrdadm

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

The parameter DIR_CT_RUN was not set at all.  It wasn't in any of the profile parameter files.  I've tried a few things but still getting nothing copied into the local directory.

I set DIR_CT_RUN to /sapmnt/HRD/exe (as indicated above by Ranjith).  Then I set DIR_CT_RUN to /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64 which seemed the right location given what I'd seen elsewhere. 

I've also copied the new kernel files into /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64.

I've also run sapcpe manually (sapcpe pf=/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/profile/HRD_DVEBMGS00_devsap).  It's this profile file which now contains the reference to DIR_CT_RUN.  (To do this I put patch 201 back & opened the system)

However, I still can't login to the system and running sapcontrol still shows that files in the local directory as patch 201 (not 400 which is what I now have again in the central directory).

I'm obviously still missing something fundamental or doing something wrong.  Am I right in thinking that sapcpe will determine the location of DIR_CT_RUN from the profile instance file?  I assume I don;t need to set a Unix environment variable?

I'm carrying to trying to figure it out but again appreciate any input.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashutosh

I'm concentrating on patch 400 only now.  So should I manually copy files into the locatl directory (/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe)? 

From what I see of the sapcpe config files only certain files should be copied in there (those listed in sapcpeft) .  Can you advise?

Thanks

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Please paste the sapcpe.log file from the work directory.

Also try to manually update the /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe directory

Cheers

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chirs,

login with sidadm

stopsap all

kill all processes

stop saposcol

goto cdpro

execute <sapmnt path of sapcpe in new kernel directory>/sapcpe pf=<instance profile>

repeat this for other instances profiles.

startoscol

startsap all

then check

Former Member
0 Kudos

Incidentally, after I try to run sapcpe the log file now shows this:

:/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/work > cat sapcpe.log
2013/01/15 15:20:05
sapcpe version UC: @(#) $Id: //bas/720_REL/src/ccm/sapstart/sapxxcpe.c#38 $ SAP

Command line:
  0: sapcpe
  1: pf=/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/profile/HRD_DVEBMGS00_devsap

Trace level (profile): 1
** INFO:    Try to find file table sapcpeft (default:sapcpeft)
** INFO:    Try to find file table in the central directory /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/sapcpeft
** INFO:    Found file table: /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/sapcpeft

source: /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64
target: /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/run

Checking the files in the file table for copy type
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/db4cncl is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbdb2slib.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbdb2slib9.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbdb2slibx.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbdb4slib.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbinfslib.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbsldb4ccm.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/libsecude.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/setdb4pwd is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    file /usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/xdnxdaapi.so is not existing and status -copy when file exists- is set
** INFO:    no extern File-List defined. Look for the default File-List(s).

Checking File-List(s).
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/instance.lst" exists.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/instancedb.lst" exists.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/tools.lst" does not exist.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/inhouse.lst" does not exist.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/dbclient.lst" does not exist.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/igsexe.lst" exists.
** INFO:    File-List "/usr/sap/HRD/SYS/exe/uc/sun_64/sapcrypto.lst" exists.
Current list file: see table below
ActualizeLocalFileOrDir: instance.lst (FPM:0x0)
ActualizeLocalFile: instance.lst
ActualizeLocalFileOrDir: sapmanifest.mf (FPM:0x0)
ActualizeLocalFile: sapmanifest.mf

[LONG LIST OF OVER 900 FILES]

ActualizeLocalFileOrDir: sapgenpse (FPM:0x0)
ActualizeLocalFile: sapgenpse
ActualizeLocalFileOrDir: libsapcrypto.so (FPM:0x20)
ActualizeLocalFile: libsapcrypto.so

Files scanned......:   769  857.65 MB
** All local files, which are available and defined, are up to date. **
Required Time......:  0:00

Copy Errors detected.................: 0

Sync Errors detected.................: 0

Not copied files (UID=0) detected....: 0

Warnings detected....................: 769

:/usr/sap/HRD/DVEBMGS00/work >

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i think u left the the exe folder in ur path..........

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

First of all take the backup of /sapmnt/SID/exe folder to other location outside the sap server through winscp or any other tool which you use.

Remove the folders exe_* folders from /sapmnt/SID out there to some other location through winscp. After doing this , Now your /sapmnt/SID/ folder contains with exe folder with kernal 720 patch 201.

Now I want you to replace the kernel 720 patch 201 with   kernel 720  patch 400.

1. /sapmnt/SID/exe --- manually.

2. /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe ---- manually

3./usr/sap/SID/SCS01/exe --- manually

Now start the sap.

Kindly let me know and this will take few minutes for you.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vimal,

The kernel is basically stored in central directory of executable's (read one file system) which is mounted on other servers if the application servers are present on different hosts.

On Unix systems the /sapmnt/SID/exe (DIR_CT_RUN) is that location.

When you start an SAP system the sapcpe program copies the kernel from the /sapmnt/SID/exe (DIR_CT_RUN)

location to the (DIR_EXECUTABLE) /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe directories.

Are you trying to use 720 ext kernel? check the permissions of all the files inside exe and ensure oracle and brtool files are under respective owners and groups.

Thanks,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through SAP Note 1636252.

You need to follow sapcpe commands.

BR,

LaliJa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You MUST overwrite the exe folder not creating a new folder. Reason is there are many files which will not be available in the new Uncared Kernel. Perform the following steps.

1. Stop the SAP system & DB and check whether any SAP processes is running . If yes, please kill or end the processes

2. Take a  backup of the exe which is working.

3. Uncar the latest Kernel and copy the contents to exe folder.

4.Run saproot.sh <SID> to set the br tools version.

5. Start the SAP system.

6. Check if SAP is running fine, if not, attach the dev_w0 and dev_disp files for further analysis.

Thanks and Regards,

VImal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Dont use mv command on exe folder,for example my current patch is 102 i want upgrade to 300 if i move my current exe to exe_old(102) and created a new exe folder copied 300 patch in that created folder.in this secenario SAP will not up.

Because if u mv exe(102 patch) to exe_old,all soft link exist on this exe will not be available for your new exe folder created for 300 patch.

Thnaks.

Mahipal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris

Please follow SAP note https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1636252 

It has step by step instructions on kernel upgrade.

If you think you are following the exact steps then please try this out.

Once your kernel is upgrade and before starting the system go to profile directory

execute sappfpar check pf=<path to your instance profile > , make sure there are no errors.

A new kernel can also require you to increase shared pools.

If this does not fix it , then attach some logs for us to look at.

Regards

Amit Padmawar

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Please match the contents of other exe location..... This could also happen if due sync missing...... use sapcpe to sync..........

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Instaed of replacing the whole folder , /sapmnt/SID/exe with 300 or 400 , just replace the content of

/sapmnt/SID/exe with the kernal 300 or 400.

Also paste the logs for dev_disp and dev_ms , dev_w

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi