SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsored classes

former_member211711
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

We are trying to define how Commitment Items map to Sponsored Classes. We have hundreds of Grants and each one has different requirements for expenditure groupings/budgeting.

It is not good to do derivation rules for each Grant in derivation strategy because this is so many lines in GMDERIVE and changes must be transported.

Also rules are not so general and Sponsored Class can't be based on objects like functional area.

Has anyone else had experience how to derive Sponsored Class in such a case? We are thinking we have to do a special table.

Best regards,

Aleksey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

Is FM-GM integration being used at your client ? If yes then please note that FM derivation will be called first and will be used to derive Fund, Grant, FC and Commitment items. Once system have these fields derived system moves to GMDERIVE. Now in GMDERIVE you can make use of target fields derived in FMDERIVE. E.g Fund center, Commitment items e.t.c . We are deriving sponsored classes and programs using a combination

Cost element + Grant + Order ID = Sponsored class + Sponsored Program.

What i think creating numerous derivation line items within a rule is not issue , however making your derivation logic complex is an issue . Please try to keep your derivation as simple as possible.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

atif_farooq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

Is FM-GM integration being used at your client ? If yes then please note that FM derivation will be called first and will be used to derive Fund, Grant, FC and Commitment items. Once system have these fields derived system moves to GMDERIVE. Now in GMDERIVE you can make use of target fields derived in FMDERIVE. E.g Fund center, Commitment items e.t.c . We are deriving sponsored classes and programs using a combination

Cost element + Grant + Order ID = Sponsored class + Sponsored Program.

What i think creating numerous derivation line items within a rule is not issue , however making your derivation logic complex is an issue . Please try to keep your derivation as simple as possible.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Yes we are using FM integration, and using FMDERIVE and GMDERIVE . We need to map CI to SP Class the right way for each grant.

The issue is that for each grant, the Class for an expense may be slightly different. Eg for one grant personnel expenses may include travel, for another certain travel expenses may be excluded etc. Even for a class such as Travel, expenses may have different budget allocation and this means different sponsored class. It can all get too confusing and too many Classes to cover all the possibilities. I don’t think using IO could help us.

If we create a derivation rule to map CI to Class for every Grant (we think we will have around 900 Grants) then every time a rule is added for a Grant, FMDERIVE must be transported. Seems too much maintenance. Or are you making GMDERIVE modifiable in production environment?

0 Kudos

Hi:

Well you can always maintain derivation rules directly in live system, just ask your BASIS guy to do the necessary settings for FMDERIVER  & GMDERIVER in SCC4 . Please note that for creating a new rule or deleting and old rule you need to have access of FMDERIVE or GMDERIVE which i do not think should be given in Live system. Just give authorization of FMDERIVER and GMDERIVER which will allow the maintenance i-e addition to existing rules. As of deriving various sponsored classes based on grouping is concerned you can use various dimensions like WBS element or IOs, funded programs . As i perceive an expense that is categorized in Research Sponsored class for one Project (WBS/IO) may well be grouped in Advertisement Sponsored class for another project e.t.c Hence this way you can do the mapping.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far, we decided on a combination of ci (range) WBS and Grant to derive SP Class in a rule.

We hope it will work OK performance-wise in one rule, as we will have many hundreds of Grants (but small number of Classes per Grant).