cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cannot run SAP instances on the Oracle Database Appliance ?

former_member354403
Discoverer
0 Kudos

i don't understand, what i read in SAP Note 1760737. This note shows, what to observe, when i want to use Oracle Database Appliance (ODA) in SAP environments.

I found this:

Only Three-Tier SAP Installations. SAP instances cannot run on the  Oracle Database Appliance and must run on separate servers.

Why shouldn't i install SAP-Central- and SAP-Applikation Instances.

Can someone help me?

Best regards

René Kröger

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

> Why shouldn't i install SAP-Central- and SAP-Applikation Instances.

That is not true in detail - please check this paper: Oracle White Paper

The Oracle Database Appliance cannot be used to run SAP application instances. SAP application instances have to run on separate machines which use the Ethernet network to exchange data with the database(s) on the Oracle Database Appliance. In SAP terminology this is called a three tier architecture.

The only SAP components which are supported to run on the Oracle Database Appliance are the SAP database administration tools (BR*Tools) and the SAP Central Services (SCS and ASCS).

.. so as you can see you are (only) not allowed to run application server instances on that infrastructure, which makes sense (from a technical architecture point of view of course). As the name "Database Appliance" states it as well.

SAP limits so many great Oracle stuff .. so asking the "WHY" is an exhausting procedure (just think about RMAN and the catalog for example).

Regards

Stefan