Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring PI Interfaces while PI dead

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

New to PI Production support.

Having few doubts with respect to real time scenarios:

1. Scenario is File to IDOC, Consider if PI is down for some reason while processing the message, it picks the file from the source directory and i have used he option processing mode as delete so it deletes the input file by picking and while processing the message in PI some how the server is down, where will be this message, is that to be restarted from PI, as we use delete there will not be any source file. ( how should i approach in this case).

Note: In similar if the sender R/3 is down & if PI is pushing the IDOCS to ECC, then how to handle such case. wll queue size increases or what happens.

2. Assuming the above same scenario, do we have any option to process the files based on timestamp, timestamp comes with the input file name, this can be achieved by NFS protocol, so is there any workaround for accessing the files from FTP.

3. Scenario is IDOC to HTTPS: here i couldnt see any HTTPS protocol in SOAP or HTTP adapter, so how should i achieve this HTTPS secured post functionality. My assumption was is the certification validation is as same as HTTPS? Could you please clarify on this.

4. Need some document which covers possible error handling techniques in PI.

Appreciate your quick response for the above queries

Regards,

Sai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>> 1. , is that to be restarted from PI, as we use delete there will not be any source file. ( how should i approach in this case).

yes - it's in PI and PI will take care of that once it's up

>>>> In similar if the sender R/3 is down & if PI is pushing the IDOCS to ECC, then how to handle such case. wll queue size increases or what happens.

PI will take care of that - restarting the messages

>>>>Scenario is IDOC to HTTPS: here i couldnt see any HTTPS protocol in SOAP or HTTP adapter, so how should i achieve this HTTPS secured post functionality.

both SOAP and HTTP support HTTPS - please have a look at guides on SDN

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Michal,

One more clarification:

we have requirement for File to IDOC scenario as like this:

1. Input files are dropped at the FTP directory with date & time stamp

for example: abc01092013143527

here 01092013 is date & 143527 is the 24hours time format,

2. the requirement is i need to pick the files based on time stamp, simply i can say like FIFO processing, when i check in file adapter i found that it can be configured in NFS protocol, but processing sequence option is not available in FTP protocol.

3. Also the contents of the file holds sequence number, so is there anyway to pick the files based on the content.

Appreciate your response:

Thanks,

Sai

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>2. the requirement is i need to pick the files based on time stamp, simply i can say like FIFO processing, when i check in file adapter i found that it can be configured in NFS protocol, but processing sequence option is not available in FTP protocol.

yes - this does not work for FTP - you need to use NFS to have option "by date"

>>>>3. Also the contents of the file holds sequence number, so is there anyway to pick the files based on the content.

no there is no way to do that in standard

remedy:

a) use EOIO protocol (like for example SOAP, JMS) where messages can be delivered across the whole flow with EOIO

b) use confirmations and not batch files, so make sure that the sender system cannot create

another file unless it receives a response from the first one, this way you will not have to play with dates and content based picking - this is the best and most preferable way

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai krishna,

1. need not to reprocess again, PI will take care of once file has been picked.

2.  we can restart the messages. we can monitoring those messages in PI

3.  your assumption is right. both SOAP and HTTP support HTTPS.

4. which type of error handle documents you need? it's depends..

Regards,

Seshu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sai krishna wrote:

Hi Gurus,

New to PI Production support.

Having few doubts with respect to real time scenarios:

1. Scenario is File to IDOC, Consider if PI is down for some reason while processing the message, it picks the file from the source directory and i have used he option processing mode as delete so it deletes the input file by picking and while processing the message in PI some how the server is down, where will be this message, is that to be restarted from PI, as we use delete there will not be any source file. ( how should i approach in this case).

Note: In similar if the sender R/3 is down & if PI is pushing the IDOCS to ECC, then how to handle such case. wll queue size increases or what happens.

>>Message will get stuck in PI and need to reprocess the same if the target system is not available with in retry interval of PI messages..

2. Assuming the above same scenario, do we have any option to process the files based on timestamp, timestamp comes with the input file name, this can be achieved by NFS protocol, so is there any workaround for accessing the files from FTP.

>>Check the message monitoring of PI and reprocess the messages as per your requirement

3. Scenario is IDOC to HTTPS: here i couldnt see any HTTPS protocol in SOAP or HTTP adapter, so how should i achieve this HTTPS secured post functionality. My assumption was is the certification validation is as same as HTTPS? Could you please clarify on this.

>>Yes you are right...search SDN for more info if require on how to enable

4. Need some document which covers possible error handling techniques in PI.

Check SDN lot can be found...

Appreciate your quick response for the above queries

Regards,

Sai