cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data archiving: Storage Paths

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I would like to know regarding the storage system mechanism for the archived file. From the technical books I understand that there is a need on storage interface like CMS\HSM\CS to store the files on external storage system.

However we donot want to use any interfaces to avoid license costs and other  configurations,complexity and extra job loads.

1.Hence our Idea is to consider an extra NAS\SAN disk and store all the files on to this NAS\SAN drive.May be I can get this disk mounted on to existing SAP running server but also want to check instead getting this disk mounted, I want to update the archive path (path to place the archive files when archive write jobs are triggered) with \\\server name (address for the NAS\SAN Disk). Is this method possible without using any storage interface.

2. The second question is if the archive files are written to drive D:\archive directory , can the archive files be moved to some other drive& directory in future. If it can be done what are those steps to be followed

3. We are using the ADK based archiving and this question is more about the way archive files are organised at OS level. Generally we update the file path for the archive file location. In the first time run, the archive job would create 100 file in this year. In the second run the next year , the job would create again some 100 files in the same directory as configured earlier because we don't change the path every year.End of second year in a single directory we will have 200 archive files.Imagining at the end of 4-5 years the directory would look so huge and clumsy? so is there any alternative for this instance?

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Yes you can store Archive files in SAN/NAS or you can use create a mount point in existing local SAP server and can use it for storing files.

2. you can move the directory files from one to another but internally you need to change the file path too, other wise if you try to display archive data then the system by default will search in old directory and returns dump or nothing.

3. Managing archive files is very tough task, as the years passes on your data will also grow and you will find very difficult to maintain it. Thats the reason company's will look for a content or archive server to have their archive data safely. Becoz one wrong step your data is gone for ever.

Archiving is not a administrative task but it should be considered as a Project. A typical archiving project will take at least two to six months of time with a content server in place.

With regards,

Tony.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Thank you for replying the post. Actually I am bit confused at this storage interfaces to store archive files.

We are actually perfroming an Archiving project on ECC and SRM 7.0 system

In the Frist Case: if Storage interface is Archive Link

Do we have to install anything for this? any extra software or only configurations on ECC and SRM connecting the Storage Medium. If software has to be installed nny extra server needed to install the software?

Second Case: If the storage Interface is CMS

Do we have to install anything for this? any extra software or only configurations on ECC and SRM connecting the Storage Medium. If software has to be installed nny extra server needed to install the software?

Thirds Case: If the Storage Interface is HMS

Fourth case:  If the Storage Interface is CS

I think for this we need to install Content Server software from SAP on a separate windwos box.can you tell if my understanding is correct.

Fifth Case: Any idea what all other interfaces available in the market, as far as I explored there is some PBS,open text and IBM content server storage

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me brief the answer.

1. If you want store the Archive files in the file system (In sanbox in sap) you no need to install any     extra software.

2. If you want to store Archive files out of sap system that is by using some content server like Open text,, then yes u need to install the open text server in a separate hardware or VM.

3. Interface is something different which connects your sap system to the archive file location, for example Archive link is an interface and by default the sap system has incorporated it, so no need to install any software. But you need to do some configuration at your ECC level to establish a link to archive files.

Fifth Case: Any idea what all other interfaces available in the market, as far as I explored there is some PBS,open text and IBM content server storage

All the above mentioned products are content servers to store files but not interface.

Well in our case we are using Open text as content server.

So dont get confused between interface and Content server.

Interface - Archive link

Content server - Open Text.

With regards,

Tony.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

For your first question please check the answers

1) You can use the NAS/SAN disk to store the archive files. But if would not need any archive link interface as the files are not getting to store to any content server. But make sure that the files should not get delete from this path at any cost and also you need to have regular backup setup for this mount point(safeside).

2) Yes you can move the files to content server if you install it in future. Storage option is available in ADK archiving.

First you need to maintain the content repository in archiving object specific customization (SARA -> <Archiving Object> -> Customizing -> Technical Setting)

Once the above configuration done. You can schedule the storage jobs later.

(SARA -> <Archiving Object> -> Management -> (Select the archiving session) -> Storage -> Store files)

It will schedule the storage jobs.

3) Yes this will be difficult task to maintain the archive files at O.S level. Also you can not differentiate the files based on their names. Better solution if you are not going for any content server in near future use the PARAM3 option in defining the archive file. Through this archiving file will create with archiving object name. Also you can define different Logical paths to route the archive files based on the archiving object(not recommended this option).

For the second question I hope Tony reply will help you.

Regards,

Sudheer T