Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What User License Type for what type of users ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm trying to complete the classification of users in my SAP systems/clients. We have My Sap Business Suite with user type below :

mySAP Categorie II / Professional

mySAP Categorie III / Limited Professional

Test

I did the classification in our production systems (ERP and SCM).

What kind of license type should I give to the Basis people ?

What kind of license type should I give to developers ?

What kind of license type should I give to customize ?

What about users who are not in Production but only in Development or Test system ?

Customizer and developer have only display access in production and get change access through FireFighter (Virsa product) userids.

What kind of license should I give them ?

Should I use license type mySAP Business Suite Developer (if licensed) or SAP NetWeaver Developer ?

Thank you in advance for your advices.

Regards.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

We have the same issue, and the same set of licenses available to assign. The SAP SYSTEM MESUREMENT GUIDE pages and documents help a bit but dont tend to answer specifics, I used them as a starting point (and have subsequantly begun imlpementing LAW from a central system, its great for measuring once its up and running) and can be found on the link below :-

http://service.sap.com/licenseauditing

It seems to imply that with only those two types of licenses available you would have to apply Professional to all of those user types on the basis that what they do in in your SAP production landscape (Dev, UAT, Training, Prod) is too much to be considered a Limited Proffesional. To assign them anything other than professional you would probably need to look to procure specifc developer licenses.

For those users outside of Prod, LAW can help you license them, again generally we have them assigned proffesional, although any ID created purely for testing use can be marked as TEST even if its a named User elsewhere.

If anybody else could shed some light on these questions I too would be grateful if anything just to see if the solution we have assumed is correct.

One question I will ask - what license do you have assigned to your FF id's ? We have assigned TEST as although we have procured FF licenses they are not available to assign from the various price lists available to activate.

Best Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Some good info from Steve

In addition

> What kind of license type should I give to the Basis people ?

> What kind of license type should I give to developers ?

> What kind of license type should I give to customize ?

What you really need to do is get hold of your licence agreement with SAP. This usually gives a whole load of info on standard and custom licence (or license if you are in the US) types which your company has negotiated with SAP.

Typically the above are Professional Licences

> What about users who are not in Production but only in Development or Test system ?

If you not live then they need to be classified, in all the agreements I have seen, if you are live then non-prod systems are not counted (or counted and ignored)

> Customizer and developer have only display access in production and get change access through FireFighter (Virsa product) userids.

> What kind of license should I give them ?

> Should I use license type mySAP Business Suite Developer (if licensed) or SAP NetWeaver Developer ?

I hope that this doesn't appear to be like a stuck record, but speak to your SAP account manager to confirm. In the past I have seen a few instances where the FF userID's were professional but the users who could use them were assigned a licence type as per their normal access.

Often I have seen these types classified as Limited Professional depending on what they can actually do in prod. Any update tx (even if it's reprocess idocs) then usually you will need to flag them as Limited Professional

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for the late feedback on this. I was able to get the different details to be able to assign the right license type and to send the report to SAP using the LAW.

As FF Ids are "Service" accounts they are not taken in account by the User Measurement.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

I would think that you need a normal (operational) dialog type user to be able to generate a session as the FireFighter service type user, so the "person" is already measured in the form of the dialog user.

Of course, if you know the password for the FF service user then that no longer holds true, very easily...

In my opinion this is a general design error in the FF application, considering that it has "super powers" and is not just required to run some (partly anonymous) service, and somebody must "put" the password. The solution I use changes the pwd 4 times for every logon when an Emergency User is requested.

Cheers,

Julius