cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.31 - Component based alerting v/s Alert framework like 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI Experts,

We are in the process of upgrading PI from 7.0 to 7.31. In current PI-7.0, We are using Alert framework for notifying us for the failed messages in PI.

PI-7.3 has the the new feature of Component based alerting, while implementation, we have a choice between "Component Based Alerting" and "Alert FrameWork".

1.     Can someone guiide me on what are the advantages of using  "Component Based Alerting" v/s "Alert Framework" in PI-7.3?

2.     If we choose "Component Based Alerting" now, then can we switch it back to "Alert Framework"? If yes, how difficult it is? What are the configuration steps for the "Component Based Alerting"?

3.     If we choose "Alert Framework" now, then can we switch it back to  "Component Based Alerting"? If yes, how difficult it is? We would be able to use our current alert configuration and alert rules?

Thanks.

MP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. CBA is going to be developed and supported and alert framework will soon be gone

2. you can use both so it's always possible to switch to another one

3. configuration - you can find in my blogs:

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/03/25/michals-pi-tips-component-based-m...

hope that answers your questions,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal,

Thank you very much for your helpful tips! I always read your PI blog. Always useful:-)

AF = Alert Framework in 7.0

CBA = Component Based Alerting

1.     In current AF, we get the alert for the new error if we have confirmed the alert for the same rule in the system otherwise we do not get a alert for the new error.How the alert confirmation works in CBA?

2.     Is there any way we can move the current alert rules of AF to CBA in 7.3?

Thanks.

MP

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>1.     In current AF, we get the alert for the new error if we have confirmed the alert for the same rule in the system otherwise we do not get a alert for the new error.How the alert confirmation works in CBA

depends how you consume alerts - if you do it with SOLMAN for example it's there (for "number of hours" and/or "until" AFAIK)

>>>>2.     Is there any way we can move the current alert rules of AF to CBA in 7.3?

not sure if with 7.3 but there is some upgrade function in 7.31 as per:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/b2/58b14b70744d0db55599230d2c5bce/frameset.htm

quote:

"In case you upgrade your system to enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.3, and in case the “classical”alerting function (already available prior to enhancement package 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.3) is switched on, the CTC wizard asks you if you like to switch on the new component-based message alerting."

but I've never tried it so don't know if/how it works,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

Is it possible to see all the Alerts which got triggered from RWB->Alert Inbox for Java Stack .

Regards,

Tibin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello,

as far as I am aware another problem is the suppression of multiple alerts if you do not use a Solution Manager. We tested some scenarios and while using ALERT-TO-EMAIL consumer we will get an endless amount of alert mails for an erroneous polling sender channel for example.

Is there any possibility to suppress those kind of multiple alerts? As there is no Alert Inbox for CBA if you are not using a Solution Manager I dont see a solution for this yet.

Would be glad if you could share your views on this topic.

Best regards,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

we are on PI 7.4 single stack and we have enabled the CBA and alerts are generated in large number. we are not seeing an option to suppress the duplicate alerts. can you please let me know whether SAP has provided you any solution to suppress the duplicate alerts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

we are on PI 7.4 SP11 single stack and we have enabled the CBA and alerts are generated in large number. we are not seeing an option to suppress the duplicate alerts. can you please let me know whether SAP has provided you any solution to suppress the duplicate alerts? Any help would be appreciated. we have completely turned off the alerts because of this problem. I did not see any solution from SAP yet. Any inputs on the alternates will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Srini

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Srinivas tried a lot  finding the same, not getting any solution.

Try creating new  alerts and check once.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MP,

Yes PI 7.31 comes with the new feature as Component based message alerting .

Overall there is no much difference for customers but when you see technically you will find below difference

a) while making recipients list in alrtcatdef you will fix user by name or by role, but in

component based message alerting you can give direct email address of recipients recipients in distribution list.

b)As name suggest "Component Based Alerting" here u can define components as central adapter engine,central integration engine etc .you also can                       include sender and receiver agreement on message header rules , which is not available on earlier configuration.

For the configuration of component based alerting refer my blog ....

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/12/27/component-based-message-alerting-...

thanks and regards,

Anup Banerjee