Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mount points for ECC system

former_member196171
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Currently I have following File System layout for AIX 6.1 file system as separate mount points  for our ECC system.

/sapmnt/SID/profile        - 1 GB      

/sapmnt/SID/global        - 5 GB   

/sapmnt/SID/exe         - 10 GB  

/sapmnt/SID    -  1 GB

Just want to know the pros and cons if I have a single mount point as /sapmnt/SID with 20Gb and profile, global and exe underneath same mount point ,

what is the SAP's recommendation.

You reply will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Al Mamun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As SAP also recommended to have one mount point with ample of space 20 or 30 GB but it should be on single mount point /sapmnt/<SID

@Punit, I don't know where you got that info but as far as I know that is not correct.

@Al, One example strait from the top of my head... In the case of /sapmnt/SID/exe this is a mount point that depending on if you have a homogenous or heterogenous landscape it will be mounted or not in the application servers, so its important that you have it as a separate mount point...

SAP Best Practice as far as I know is to keep the separate.

Regards, Juan

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The reason why sapmnt is not segregated is to insure that all mounts under /<sapmnt>/<SAPSID> should are permanent. Otherwise automatic start of the instance services will not work when you reboot the system.

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maintenance  is one of the reason not to create many file systems, apart from that I did not find any other reasons. One of my client place I have implemented /sapmnt/SID/global as separate file systems due to large number of jobs logs and spool logs generated on daily basis.

Regards,

Dipam

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

I dont see anything wrong in doing this. Either way is fine.

The only trouble is for the system administrators who will have to take care of all these FS's instead of one.

Eg: In the event of creating an additional AS to this system on a different machine, you will have to mount all these FS's on the new server instead of one.

If I could suggest you, I would say a size of 5 GB for the /sapmnt/SID/exe is more than enough.

Instead adding more to the FS /sapmnt/SID/global could be good as that is the only FS which keeps growing out of them and where the job logs are kept.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Al Mamun,

As I have seen and worked with different Clients , I have never seen with all separate mount points.

As SAP also recommended to have one mount point with ample of space 20 or 30 GB but it should be on single mount point /sapmnt/<SID>

<removed_by_moderator>

Regards

Punit