cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration for assembly processing / standard network - object characteristics

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I don't know if this forum is the right one for my question, if not, please -> admins move to another (which) one.

We are using the VC for standard networks within the assembly processing to select the activities for a network order.

Is there a possibility to evaluate content from  the standard network template such as the alternative (RCUCO-PLNAL) or similar, if needed maybe also with a variant function?

I tried to find some special documentation or hints about the VC for standard networks, maybe you could give me some hints?

I have some experience of the VC within the "normal" SD environment.

Thanks and best regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

It is possible to automatically select different alternatives of a network based on the values selected in variant configuration in sales order. It is however not through dependencies but through classification.

1. You have to create a network class of class type 020 containing the characteristics which will determine the network and the alternative.

2. When you do the assignment of material code with the standard network in CN08, you should not do the direct assignment of material to a standard network. Instead you should assign the material code to this network class of class type 020.

3. Now you have to use the tcode CL24N.  Here you have to select the assignment object as Class.

In the resultant screen, provide the network class name and the class type as 020. Press enter.

This will open the assignment screen for you. Here you can mention the standard network and the alternative.

4. Now select this network and double click. This will open another screen where you can specify the values for the characteristic which should trigger this network.

The concept is as follows.

When the VC is entered in Sales order, the values of the characteristics are checked in CL24N. This is because in SD we use the material which is again linked to the network class in CN08. So for this class, the transaction would try to look in CL24N and compare the masterdata with the data in SD item.

Based on the values, the correct network will be selected and using that standard network, an operative network will be created.

if you have any specific questions on this, you can ask me.

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Navaneetha,

thanks a lot for your quick and detailed answer. I will check your suggestion.

Do you have any recommendation about some literature or information, where I can get some more (special) / background knowledge about this topic, as the information I found so far concerning VC goes more in direction "configuration of material"?

Best regards

Andreas

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Navaneetha,

I followed the steps until 3), there I get the following error, so I assume, I have to do some customizing first for the class hierarchy of class type 020?

Best regards

Andreas

You cannot set up a hierarchy for class type 020    Message no. CL571

Procedure

In the IMG for classification, you can define for each class type
    whether or not a class hierarchy can be set up for classes of this class
    type.

If required, have the settings in the IMG changed for this class type.

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

In germany we have an idiom, "All good things are 3" (questions)

I think, now I know what to do, just a few questions left:

1) What about the configuration profile of the standard network, which class should I use there (at the moment we only used 300, if I should 020 there I have to customize it at first)

2) I assume, your suggestion is targeting on the behaviour within SD environment, but we also create network orders with CN21 and connection to WBS elements, where we evaluate the configuration from the assignment of the standard network from CN08. Is it also working there?

Or does your suggestion means, that the user has to know, which standard net with which alternative he wants to use -> This will lead to an increase of the amount of standard networks, am I right?

Thanks for your replies

Best regards

Andreas

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I will try to answer your questions one by one.

1. We have only limited literature on especially this area of network classification.

2. For the class hierarchy part, we dont use any class hierarchy in network and hence we have never faced this problem. 

3. We also dont use any configuration profile for class of type 020. It is not needed. There is nothing needed in network classification except for the class to automatically decide the standard network based on characteristics you select in SO.

4. To your final question on CN08 and CN21, this only needs to be tested.  If I am not wrong, this determination will not work automatically when you do CN21, because when you do it through CN21, the values for the determining characteristics are not passed automatically. So either the user has to manually select the standard network or should give the values for characteristics for the network class.

I dont know if you have answer your questions sufficiently enough. Let me know if I am unclear somewhere.

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

thanks for your reply. Sorry for maybe confusing you by 3 different posts, but with each step I found some more details (and questions), which I write immediately before doing the next step, just to make sure, I am on the right track.

So trying to reply your statements:

1. Which literature would you recommend?

2. Here I was wrong, I understand your first reply in this direction, but now I am using the assignment to a standard net.

3. + 4  When I try CN21 I got this error, when I select my standard network, which I created like you described above (missing configuration profile, error 6), (see message CN630 -> You cannot configure standard network .... (Reason: 6 -> Means "for the standard net there exists no valid configuration profile, create a configuration profile with function standard net -> configuration profile -> create")

When I create the network without standard network I got no request for configuration at all -> You write "....So either the user has to manually select the standard network or should give the values for characteristics for the network class....."

-> How is the user forced then to evaluate the values for the characteristics for the network class?

So at the moment I have no possibility to test CN21 WITH VALID CONFIGURATION and class assignment to the standard net at all, how could I manage this (maybe you could do a short test on your system to check or know how is the attitude from SAP towards this business case -> is there maybe an OSS hint?)

Before I want to test the functionality within SD I have to make sure, that it works with CN21 as well.

So I hope I was clear enough with my questions and I'm looking forward to your reply.

Best regards

Andreas

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,
For 2nd question, assigning the class to standard network is correct.

For 3rd and 4th question, I think you need to create configuration profile for network. This is because you want to give the configuration values in the network classification. In ourcase where configuration flows from SD, this step may not be required and I think thats why we have not created configuration profile for standard network.
So it depends on the purpose. If you want to use this assembly processing with SD, then you dont need configuration profile for the network. If you want to do configuration for the network (based on which the standard network is used as the template for operative network), then it is required.

For first question, people like us are one of the very few people working in this area. So there is not much of materials available as of now.

Let me know

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

when I try to create a configuration profile for the standard net, which I build up like you suggest,

at first screen it seems to be possible, but then the status is set to locked -> See the following screenshots:

1: Create profile with class type 300

2. Try to save:

When I try to create with class type 020 I get an error (message CU735), that this class type is not valid for variant configuration of standard networks.

So the question is, should I go into SPRO and change the customizing for this class type 020, so that it will be valid for variant configuration?

But 020 has a different object type than 300, so I wonder, what other impact this will have?

Thanks for all help

BTW, are you working for SAP?

Regards

Andreas

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I dont work for SAP! ,only work in SAP.

But I have been working in assembly processing and fairly thorough with the SD-PS integration.

I dont know why you are getting these errors, which were not expected in the process. Can you please do me a favour.

Just list the sequence of transactions and the process you follow to create a network and what do you expect in the end. Then I will replicate the same in my system and I can help you further.

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

you wrote:

.... If you want to use this assembly processing with SD, then you dont need configuration profile for the network. If you want to do configuration for the network (based on which the standard network is used as the template for operative network), then it is required....

Ok, so first I try to create a configuration profile with CU41 like you suggested.

There I face the errors I described in my last post

So my questions are (just to repeat them from above) at the moment, before I can go further (with CN21 etc.):

Which class type should I use in CU41?

-> with class type 020 I get an error (message CU735), that this class type is not valid for variant configuration of standard networks. So should I go into SPRO and change the customizing for this class type 020, so that it will be valid for variant configuration?

But 020 has a different object type than 300, so I wonder, what other impact this will have?

-> with class type 300 I got another error (CU763) see screenshot from above, which is not clear to me, how to avoid it. Maybe I have to do also some additional customizing for class type 300.

I hope now it is clear for you?

BTW, maybe it is a good idea to exchange our email adresses.

Is there any possibility to create some PN's in SCN?

Best regards

Andreas

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I will reply you in another 2 days.

andreas_bonhfer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,
do you have any news for me?

Thanks and best regards

Andreas

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Today I had some time and I tried your case.

When I tried to create a configuration profile for a standard network, it didn’t allow me with the class type 020.  However I could make the class type as 300. So there is no confusion here. If you are using configuration profile, you should only use class of class type 300 even for standard network.

At the standard network level, in Extrasà Classification view, I am able to link classes of both 020 and 300 types. It was accepting both of them. It strikes me now that earlier I was only not exploring 300 class type. So I don’t see any problems here also. What I assume logically is that, if we are using class type 300 then it is mandatory to use configuration profile for standard network.

So the rule should be like this. If you want your values to automatically flow from the SD document to operative network which is created by copying standard network, then you should use 300 class type in material, 020 in standard network and do CN08 set up.

If you want the standard network to be sending data to operative network and not the SD document, then you should be using the class type 300 for creating configuration profile for standard network and then try creating an operative network by copying the standard network. In this case you can write dependencies based in standard network based on the values you select at the operative network and accordingly all those rules will be executed in the operative network. I hope this is clear.

I tried creating operative network by copying standard network without configuration profile for the standard network and it didn’t work saying that configuration profile for standard network is not available and hence configuration is not possible in operative network. So logically I think I am coherent atleast reasonably.

So think about this, do some test if you want and then let me know if you need some more information.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

navaneetha.krishnan3

For Assembly Processing with VC do I need to use CN08 to assign Std Nw to Material or we have to skip this tcode as you have mentioned. If not what to do in CN08

I have done CL02, CT04, CU41 and now ready for VA01 but which material to select??