cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How dangerous Accessing SAP Database with SQL from outside the SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello !

Just want to know your opinion about accesing SAP tables from non-SAP platforms with naked sql and reading/writing the SAP tables !!

Reason: Some of our windows administrators are accesing the SAP tables with sql without using the ABAP-Workbench as they have no developer authorizations or developer keys ! They are doing it behind me as i happen to be the SAP Basis Administrator ! Who takes the responsibility in case the database gets corrupted !! Still worse, they do it on the production system !

'will be pleased for your opinion and advice.

Kumar/Germany

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

There is no such restriction as far as I know.

But there can be consequences if you dont know what you are doing.

A good example is pointed out in this link. Have a look.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c4/3a6f8f505211d189550000e829fbbd/content.htm

Cheers

RB

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is quite a subject, I remember a memorable discussion about this on the following thread... have a read.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1026786

Regards, Juan

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Accessing SAP tables from SQL level can be of no harm or it can ruin your SAP system also. It’s all depends upon what kind of R&D your windows admin are doing from DB level.

Believe me from SQL level they can just read/modify or truncate your SAP tables but they can not touch your SAP programs or function modules so no need to worry about developer authorization or developer keys.

if they perform any select statement.. no harm in doing so … update or insert can create inconsistency if it is not updated at SAP level. For an ex. An index created from DB level, should be created at SAP level too.

If by ay any chance … they do .. drop … or truncate.. be ready for DB restore and Disaster recovery as you said that they are playing with your production system.

One suggestion – if you are basis consultant taking care of SAP and DB, change the orasid user password and do not let your OS team to play with your database.

Cheers !!!

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why they are accessing the database table in sap database?,,its your responsiblity for securing SAP system,,

Os team can monitor the process running in os lvel but what they are doing with sql server?