cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Test Pieces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We often recieve test pieces from our customers where they say "Make this please". We currently do not use SAP to process testing including a record of "Test Piece Received" and "Test Piece Sent Back". We would like to use SAP to track this and I thought that the QM module would have this ability. However we have just started to use QM so we do not have the understanding to do this.

I welcome all advice including links on how to do this.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can look into using flexible specifications.  I suggest you bring in someone for this since if your are very new to QM it might be difficult to get it working and understand it.

With flexible specifciations you can create a master plan of the typical characterisitcs you might test the customers "test" product for.  You use this for your inspections.

As already stated, you need to create a dummy material.  I would suggest you make this a batch managed material so each item has it's own batch number/tracking number.

When the inspection lot is created, (manually or automatically), the plan can be assigned to the lot but when you first go into the inspection lot you will need to select the tests you want to perform, (from the master plan), and you will have to enter in the spec range to be used for each test.

This should give you an accurate inspection lot.  If you need to report these results to the customer, i would suggest a custom inspection report layout for the "print inspeciton report" transaction so you can print a suitable report of the inspection results.

FF

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas, You mentioned We often recieve test pieces from our customers where they say "Make this please". Kindly excuse me as I could not correlate what "Make this please" stands for?

Whether your customer sends you the material for testing? And after testing you send back this material to your customer with inspection results? If so, then I guess,

1. You are not using any SAP transactions for showing in warding of this material which ideally could  be a part of MM module being inventory movement.
  2. Explore whether you can route this through MM, so that QM can be integrated with MM.
  3. As soon as you inward the material, the stock gets posted in to quality inspection. With per-defined inspection parameters you can then inspect this material  and can input your actual results.
  4. Once the inspection activities are over you can transfer the material in to unrestricted and then later can send to your customer through SD module.

Unlike above, manual inspection lot does not have a link with MM or SD module. Here you can create inspection lot as and when required. As others mentioned, you need a material code for that. Steps for this are,

1. Activate inspection type 89 in material master
  2. Create inspection plan for the same material in QP01
  3. Create inspection lot with QA01
  4. This will generate inspection lot
  5. Carry out result recording
  6. Give UD.

This needs to be finalized which methodology you adopt for tracking this. With MM/SD and QM with proper inventory movement  or only with QM independently.

Regards, Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I am totally agree with Mr Anand, first of all check the possibilities w.r.t all modules, as test material comes into ur premises and u perform some activity and send back to ur customer , so there is an integration of MM/QM and if processing of material is concern then it may be PP or some lab work so u may integrate it. for this u need to create one material as Dummy and activate 01 inspection type in material master QM view and process ur GRn during inwarding of test material, post GRn, do RR and UD, and then via 05/12 send back to ur customer( it is based on req.).  it will help u in proper tracking of ur services against the material/customer/cost of ur service and testing evaluation.

Regards

former_member207800
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some alternatives are possible.

If this process is not related with other department such as delivery, billing...

I suggest manual inspection lot creation process and user status (to track progress).

And if there is no material number because a material is trial, then you can create a dummy material and use text field for more detail information.

Regards, DoWook KIM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello DoWook Kim,

The manual inspection lot creation sounds promising. As I have stated we are just starting QM, so could you point me in the right direction to start this (transactions, links to other sites, etc.)

Thank you so much.

former_member214626
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas ,

As Dowook said . You can create manual inspection lot using QA01 . You can assign inspeciton plan to it also

Also you can follow this :

1, Create a physical sample using QPR1 .

2. Create inspection lot from physical sample .

3. go to Qa02 , enter inspection lot no and add inspection plan(task list) to lot .

3. Do RR/UD agains this sample .

4. this will help you to keep track of sample coming inside co and going out .

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP PM,

I created the physical sample using QPR1 and SAP generated a Physical Sample number.

However, it will not let me create an inspection lot without a material number. I need to be able to create a test without a Material Number.

Thanks.

former_member620323
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can't create manual inspection lot without material, just create dummy material no.

& Inspection plan created for material with plant combination where you insert your test parameters.

So create dummy material & process the Quality procedure as per above.

former_member214626
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas ,

You can not creat a lot without material no . As suggested abve also create a dummy material no .

Regards