cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Recently I performed alternate tape restore and recovery. Backup belongs to 17th Aug 2012. This backup tape inserted into another tape library and performed resotore into another server. Restored full database and successfully completed on 02nd Jan 2013. I checked the datafiles time stamp. All datafiles are 17th Aug

2012, which it is correct. Checked the control file time stamp, it is showing 02nd Jan 2013. Not sure why it is different date. Hence i removed the control files and restored only the control file using the command "brrestore -u / -c force -b bejfojlf.anf -m 0". After restore still time stamp is 02nd Jan 2013. Can you please advise why there is difference in the time stamp for the control file and data files. Becuase of this will affect the recovery? Kindly help us in this matter.

Thanks,

Badabhagni

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Badabhagni,

>> Can you please advise why there is difference in the time stamp for the control file and data files. Becuase of this will affect the recovery

What kind of problem you expect to see? You should not face with a problem, if DBSID and the online redolog+datafile paths are the same with source system. On the other hand, you can create the control file from the scratch, if you would like. Please read the previous thread about how to create control file and import redo logs, below;

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3223223

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

DBSID and the online redolog+datafile paths are the same. We tried to open the database but it is asking more recovery for system datafile. We tried to open with open reset logs but still asking for more recovery. We created the control file from the scratch and tried to recover the database. But still we are encounter same issue. Can you please help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> DBSID and the online redolog+datafile paths are the same.

So, you don't need to recreate the control files from the scratch. Regarding your notes, I understand that this is an online backup. Under this circumstance, you need to apply offline redologs in order to open the database successfully, by the command below;

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Time stamp doesn't impact recovery if you have correct version restored.

Online backup restore always require archivelogs to recover the database.

Once the restore is complete, recover database using above command (Orkun has mentioned above)......it should recover, if source and target SIDs are same othewise you have to change the SID, paths in control file.

Regards,

Nick Loy

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I mind to remember, that brbackup is not simply backing up the controlfile directly.

It is doing

alter database backup controlfile to "/oracle/SID/sapreorg/cntrlSID.dbf";

alter database backup controlfile to "/oracle/SID/sapbackup/cntrlSID.dbf";

(or. likewise) and then backing up the copy in sapbackup.

So I assume it is restoring the same way: to sapbackup and then doing a "cp" to the original locations (might be more than one). There should be a clear message that the file is restored and then copied. If this is done without "-p" you'll get a current timestamp.

try

mkdir /oracle/???/sapreorg/RESTORE

brrestore -u / -c force -b bejfojlf.anf -m 0=/oracle/???/sapreorg/RESTORE

and eventually brrestore will skip the copy and thus preserving the source timestamp.

As far as the recovery is concerned, Orkun is correct, when this is an online backup you need redologs to recover. If the backup was an online_cons you might have them on tape in addition.

Obviously you have the log already, so check

grep -i backup_type bejfojlf.anf

grep -i command_line bejfojlf.anf

if there is a chance that logs are on the tape in addition.

Volker

Message was edited by: Volker Borowski

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess your existing controlfiles are not overwritten by the restore program.

Could you rename the existing controlfiles and restore the controlfiles again.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak kori,

Thanks for reply. Before i restore the control files i have removed old control files and restored again. But still the same.

Thanks.