cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCN RULE INQUIRY!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I'm new to SCN Community, after going through SAP Community Rules of Engagement having some concerns which i would like to ask. Clause No. 3 (Infringement on copyright) clearly states that the content which will be shared over SCN should be user generated and cannot be reproduced or shared without the permission of original rights holder but this rule has not been obliged. Please refer to the links as mentioned below. Is it a right thing to do?

http://scn.sap.com/message/10205162

http://www.erpgreat.com/sd009.htm

If a new user distribute a content in such a manner then the discussion will be immediately locked. So the rules should be applicable for all and everyone must obey the same and should not copy copyrighted material without any legal permission.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi Sir,

With due respect, i'm disagreeing with your this statement " Wherever Moderators found any such content is copy pasted, they normally warn the member not to deviate the forum rules at first instance and I don't think, at first instance itself, such thread would have been locked."

1. What would be the action taken in case if the Moderator itself is responsible for copying the content from some other source??
  2. In addition to this, consider this thread kindly

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3281106

After posting current discussion on Dec 29, 2012 8:40 PM, the above thread has been locked and without any intimation or warning against this thread points have been deducted. May i ask that why the discussion has not been locked earlier if it was that basic or repeated one?? Why that happened only after my this post?? I'm here to learn and to share some of my knowledge by contributing in SCN so its not just points that matters what matters most is that factor causing demotivation for a new user.

Awaiting your valuable response.

Regards!

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

without any intimation or warning against this thread points have been deducted

Many times here, I had pointed out that it is highly impossible for Moderators to record their views in each and every thread and in this connection, I have already taken up with SCN team for populating some auto text before a thread is locked.

May i ask that why the discussion has not been locked earlier if it was that basic or repeated one??

Before answering your query,  can you please let me know that you disagree with me that the thread is not a basic one ??  I hope it is not the case.  Coming to your query as to why on earlier instance, it was not locked, here again, I can only say, it has missed my attention.  You all agree that till recent past, I was the only Moderator taking care of sales forum and since I was finding it very difficult to monitor all the three forums, based on my request, an additional Moderator has been appointed by SCN team.  Many of you would not aware that I have personally made a request to some senior members to take the responsibility as a Moderator but they have not accepted my request.

so its not just points that matters what matters most is that factor causing demotivation for a new user.

I can only honestly say that it is not the intention of any Moderators to hurt the feelings of members and if at all, you felt that we hurt your feelings, I feel sorry for the same but at the same time, you should appreciate we, as a Moderator should also abide by the forum rules set for us.  In that sense, since the said thread you were referring to, was also a basic one, it has been locked.  Nevertheless, keep sharing your knowledge but it is my humble request that please dont encourage any basic queries.  Encourage to search if anybody you come across who have posted a basic or repeated thread.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi Sir,

I greatly appreciate the concern you have shown in this regard and the efforts you have been putting through to serve SCN Community, also would like to thank you for your attention against this post. I agree that it is our responsibility to ensure the abidance by the rules, will try my best to comply with all rules and regulations of SCN community and won’t encourage any basic queries but also hoping that in future threads won’t get locked without any intimation or warning specifically after such posts.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree that it is our responsibility to ensure the abidance by the rules, will try my best to comply with all rules and regulations of SCN community

That's great and thanks for your understanding.

hoping that in future threads won’t get locked without any intimation or warning specifically after such posts.

Here again, I would like to point out that when you know that for some thread you wanted to suggest is of basic query, still why do you want to respond ?  Instances are there where members will get points for a basic thread and once it reaches Moderators' attention after sometime, points will be removed and the thread would be locked.  As I have been repeatedly telling here, it is highly impossible to monitor all the three forums continuously and initiate action against such basic threads.  So as and when you come across any basic post, encourage the users to search the forum first. If everybody started asking like that, then you people will indirectly reduce Moderators' work load to a great extent.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here again, I would like to point out that when you know that for some thread you wanted to suggest is of basic query, still why do you want to respond ?  Instances are there where members will get points for a basic thread and once it reaches Moderators' attention after sometime, points will be removed and the thread would be locked. So as and when you come across any basic post, encourage the users to search the forum first.

Dear Lakshmipathi Sir,

That was my very 1st post on SDN and i haven't been around the community before. The contribution was done in a good faith not to gather points however i'll be more careful from now onward and will try my level best not to respond those queries for which soln. has already been provided over SCN. Rest thank you once again for paying attention to my post. Stay blessed.

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ammarah...a great catch and I appreciate it. The rules are supposed to create self discipline among members and cannot be enforced always.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes agreed however rules should have been uniformly obliged by everyone over SCN.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Obviously, rules are common to all and there is no second thought about it.

Coming to your query, yes there might be a gap in locking a thread or advising the newbies not to post any basic query due to the fact, the number of posts being posted in sales forum is huge.  You cannot expect a Moderator to look into each and every thread and advise the members not to deviate the forum as we are also servicing SCN at free of cost. 

Also the erp link provided by you, I can say is reproduced from some other source and right now, I don't have that source documentation.  Besides this, the same content can be found in many sites way back in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and it is still continuing.  Wherever Moderators found any such content is copy pasted, they normally warn the member not to deviate the forum rules at first instance and I don't think, at first instance itself, such thread would have been locked. 

Also for information, we, as a Moderators  handle all sort of complications and only by experience we gained exposure as to how to handle a forum. 

G. Lakshmipathi

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wherever Moderators found any such content is copy pasted, they normally warn the member not to deviate the forum rules at first instance and I don't think, at first instance itself, such thread would have been locked.

Dear Sir and Moderators

We appreciate your concern and contribution to SCN SD forums but as Miss Ammarah has mentioned links, what if some moderator copy paste the data from some other site. Please check and give your remarks.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what if some moderator copy paste the data

The said thread was posted in 2011 and at that time, the member was not a Moderator. 

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To err is human!

In this case (post created on 25 April 2011, http://scn.sap.com/message/10205162#10205162) if you have copied and pasted; (now) you as a moderator could amend that particular post by giving "moderator remarks" and the link.

Ammarah,

I'm here to learn and to share some of my knowledge by contributing in SCN so its not just points that matters what matters most is that factor causing demotivation for a new user.

The constant learning in SAP should fire your motivation!

Posts / threads / points etc. etc. in forums should never cause "demotivation".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

The constant learning in SAP should fire your motivation!

Posts / threads / points etc. etc. in forums should never cause "demotivation".

As mentioned in my previous interaction that demotivation was only due to the act which has been taken by the moderator specifically after this post. My only concern was that why the discussion hasn't been locked earlier and why after this post it happened. Anyways i appreciate your contribution and agreed that points shouldn't cause demotivation.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member,

As you have not yet modified the "said" post (http://scn.sap.com/message/10205162), does it mean that either you were the owner of the content in

http://www.erpgreat.com/sd009.htm

or you have permission from the author?

First, may I please know why you have marked this post as "Assumed answered"?

Second, why are you "involving" the discussion of "participating in basic questions"? This point was not in your original post.

Side comment: At work too, while discussing (with a client) a business requirement (& the possible solutions thereof), we do not involve another "separate" requirement.

Generally, we discuss & close on point.

Side by side / or thereafter, we discuss and close the other point(s).

Ofcourse, "the way of working depends & can change" based on many factors!

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW

I have removed the content from that link.   As you should be aware, JP is a new Moderator and he is not yet fully conversant with this forum rules and his limitations.  It will take sometime.  Also I think, you were trying to drag this issue unnecessarily.

On your comments

why you have marked this post as "Assumed answered"?

what you were expecting from Ammarah ?  In his last post of 2nd Jan13, he has very clearly explained and one can very well conclude that the thread can be closed there.  This being the case, I dont understand what you would gain in further asking such questions which could have been avoided.

Please continue to post your suggestions / queries only related to SD and not anything other than this.  Hope you understand this and refrain encouraging misunderstanding between members. 

G. Lakshmipathi