cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Analysis Process - Extended Settings in the Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to find out more about the effect of different parameter settings in an APD. Against a query, properties, there is extended settings, with a number of parameters, Partitioning Characteristic, Package Size and Server Group.

When running the query in parallel as part of a process chain, I am finding that the process starts off lots of work processes, and as a result there are a lot of memory problems that are occurring. I think what is needed is for the query to run fewer work processes at any given time, and to keep the size of those work processes down as well.

Is there a clear write up anywhere on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to clarify the above.

What I am really looking for is the way to control the number of work processes that a query in an APD can start when running the query in parallel.

I cant find anything in the RSBATCH transaction that limits the number of packets that run in parallel to a set amount. Is there a parameter somewhere that will allow this to be set?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

I don't know the way to reduce the number of process for this particular case, but there is several way to manage your memory problems.

1137302 - RSCRM: Memory usage optimization helps with a program optimization

751577 - APD-FAQ: Data source query : This general note explain how to choose the Partitionning characteristic.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Maël

cote_adams
Participant
0 Kudos

Did you ever figure out a way to limit the number of dialog processes the "Process Data Collection Concurrently" spawns?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cote,

it is a while ago now, and I don't have access to a BW 7 system anymore, but I did figure out what needed to be done in the end.

There is a transaction called RZ12. Here you can define server groups, and also restrict how much resource that they take.

In the APD you define which server group you want to use when running process in parallel.

I think I would advise experimenting with this in a test environment, and find out which settings restrict the number of processes that the APD starts up to the optimum level.

Answers (0)