Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC Ehp5 Upgrade with application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are going to do the EHP5 upgrade where the configuration is as:

Our DB and CI is running on the separate box and we have 4 application server running on the separate-2 box.

Our apps server, shares /sapmnt/PRD/profile mount point from Production CI server

Now our query is that After upgrade of CI server to EHP5 what all are the activity we needs to done on DB server and apps server.

We are going to use kernel 720 on the CI server so we have to upgrade the kernel on DB server and apps server or any other activity also needs to be done on the apps server.

Thanks,

Rableen Khurana

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dipam and Tomas,

Happy New Year 2013

We are installing Dialog instance in the server,

Now after installation, we have found that the installation didnt finish properly and it throws error while starting the SAP Server which is the last stage of the installation. I tried starting the SAP manually and found that the startlog contains message that the kernel is uncompatible. After that I downloaded the latest kernel from the Service market place and upgraded the kernel in the location /sapmnt/PRD/exe and later tried starting the SAP again through installation master, but now I have found that the R3trans -d is failing.

Error message is :

meccap3:prdadm 27> R3trans -d

This is R3trans version 6.23 (release 720 - 31.10.12 - 20:12:06).

unicode enabled version

2EETW169 no connect possible: "maybe someone set invalid values for DIR_LIBRARY ('/usr/sap/PRD/SYS/exe/run') or dbms_type ('ORA')"

R3trans finished (0012).

Regards,

Rableen khurana

former_member227150
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rableen,

Please check for the oracle client files in the kernel and also check the oracle parameters in the /sapmnt/<SID>/profile and also the environment variables.

You can download latest Oracle Client Files as per your OS from service marketplace.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please install Oracle ( atleast thin ) client in the App server. Put the tnsnames.ora file in /sapmnt/SID/global or profile directory of CI,  for App server.

Regards,

Dipam

tomas_black
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Rableen,

complementing the information from Dipam: after upgrading CI to EhP5, you'll have to resintall the application servers, following the Upgrade Master Guide (which clearly states the Dialog Instances/Application Servers must be resintalled afterwards with sapinst). Regarding the DB server,

there's no specific action other than the ontes specified on the UPG Master Guide. I mean, your DB will be already on the specified target level, so no need for extra work.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tomas Black

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rableen,

I can share my experince for similar kind of situation. In my case my DB is running on AIX and CI + App servers are running on Linux.

1) On DB server /sapmnt/<SID>/exe is differnet - so update your SAP kernel on DB server.

2) I have mounted /sapmnt/<SID> from CI to all App Servers. In trial run I have upgraded all App servers after upgrade and it involved lots of manual and tedious process. So I have un-installed and re-installed all APP servers. Before that I just copied all profiles and all others settings.

Please note that - before un-install please unmount /sapmt/<SID> from App server and do not delete users and groups during un-installation.

My question is why do mount only /sapmt/<SID>/profile or sapmt/<SID>/global , instead of /sapmnt/<SID> ?

Are you using diffrent OS on CI and App serves ?

Regards,

Dipam