cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver 7.0 installation fails with error msg 'System call failed. Error 87'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

I'm trying to install my MiniSAP system for testing (SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.02 SP6 64-bit Trial) on my W2008R2 64bit VM, logged in as administrator.

I started sapinst, select 'Central System', accept the EULA, specify the 1.4.2 JRE directory but then I get this error:

An error occurred while processing option SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including Enhancement Package 2 > SAP Application Server ABAP > MaxDB > Central System > Central System( Last error reported by the step :System call failed. Error 87 (The parameter is incorrect. ) in execution of system call 'GetVolumePathName' with parameter (E:\), line (187) in file (synxcfsmnt.cpp), stack trace: iaxxejsctl.cpp: 272: EJS_ControllerImpl::executeScript() d:\depot\bas\720_rel\bc_720-1_rel\gen\optu\ntamd64\ins\sapinst\impl\src\ejs\iaxxejsbas.hpp: 450: EJS_Base::dispatchFunctionCall() iaxxejsexp.cpp: 178: EJS_Installer::invokeModuleCall() synxcfsmit.cpp: 466: CSyFSMountIteratorImpl::get() synxcfsmnt.cpp: 158: CSyFSMountImpl::CSyFSMountImpl(const CSyPath& E:/) .). You can now:

Choose Retry to repeat the current step.

Choose Log Files to get more information about the error.

Stop the option and continue with it later.

Log files are written to C:\Program Files/sapinst_instdir/NW702/AS-ABAP/ADA/CENTRAL/.

I get the same error when I try to install

SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP 7.03 64-bit Trial

It looks to me it is trying to access drive E: (which is the CD drive) but I'm going to install it on C: from a \tmp directory.

Please find the generated sapinst_dev.log attached.

Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tomas_black
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Ralph,

adding to Graham's commnts, it is a good idea to review these 2 notes:

#855498 "Installation Prerequisite Checker"

#929929 "Latest SAPinst Patch"

Also, check the following on the sapinst_dev.log:

TRACE      2012-12-24 16:47:42.854

ClusterMgt.hostIsClustered()

WARNING[E] 2012-12-24 16:47:42.856 [ianxbservi.hpp:244]

CServiceHandle::Open(ClusSvc)

FSL-06002  Error 1060 (The specified service does not exist as an installed service.)

in execution of a 'OpenService' function, line (267), with parameter (ClusSvc).

are you selecting any CLUSTER option during this install?

Best regards,

Tomas Black

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

I note that the rights for the administrator are listed in the log and there are a number of concerns about the privileges not enabled (look for 'Current access token' section).  For example, you may need to set SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege, SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege, plus others as this has tripped me up in the past.  Swap size looks small, though I don't know what it should be for the Trial version.  For the full one, you'd be looking at 4GB RAM and 20GB swap.

I note that JAVA_HOME isn't set.

I can also see that both d:\ and e:\ are set at some point.  Did you enter these directories in the dialog section?  Do they exist? 

Are you trying to load directly from the CD drive?  If so, I'd recommend copying the files locally first to a directory name without spaces in it and run it from there.

Let me know how you get on.

regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Graham, appreciate your input.

Good point, JAVA_HOME is set now.

No, I'm not installing from CD, all files had been extracted to a \tmp directory on my local hard disk C:

What puzzles me is why it is even trying to access drive E: or 😧 ???

E: is my CD drive (which is empty) and 😧 does not exist.

In the install log I noticed the message "unable to get information about path \\LABEL.ASC\ using GetVolumeInformation." but I'm not sure if this is related. The file LABAL.ASC has this content:

SAP:WEBAS:7.02:SAPINST:*:WINDOWS_X86_64:*

Meanwhile I tried to install the 32bit version of NW 7.02 on an XP VM - I get exactly the same error there.

From my Google search I saw other people run into this "error 87" error as well but I could not find so far how they get it working.

Thanks and best regards, Ralph