cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA - attribute Views

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can we create attribute views based on other attribute views?

Thanks and Regards

anu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anu,

If you meant, including attribute views within other attribute view, then this isnt possible. You will have to make use of analytic views or calculation views to do further joins for an attribute view.

You can create what are called "derived attribute view". If you are familiar with SAP BW, they are like your reference characterisitcs. They are based on an attribute view of your choice. Only the description of your derived attribute view can be changed, everything else remains the same as your base attribute view. This is particularly useful in scenarios for e.g. Customer attribute appearing as Sold-To and Bill-To within a sales transaction. You may refer to this thread as well - http://scn.sap.com/thread/3235098

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have used SLT to fetch tables from SAP Retail e.g., MARA table. Client doesnt want to change anything on SLT settings and want to fetch all fields. Since we are using only 20 fields from the table, I thought of creating attribute view on 20 fields and then  use that attribute view with other tables rather than complete MARA tables.

Also, there are lot of tables in creating 1 big attribute views so wanted to check if there is option to create smaller views.

Thanks and Regards

anu

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more point on fetching description from tables. Since descriptions are stored in _T tables which are language depedent, do you have any best practices in how can we make flexible data model so that based on user's locale correct language description is picked up at runtime.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should be using Text Join between tables within your attribute view for this purpose. You can use the default language property to control which language record is selected. Have a look at this demo on how text joins are done: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-20088

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! I was able to do that.

One question - we are hardcoding language here. In case I want to send language from some UI, how can we implement it while doing HANA modelling?

Thanks and Regards

anu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anu,

You don't neccasarily have to filter the language column & hardcode it to a specific language as shown in that demo. When you use text joins & do a data preview, only those records will be picked up which corresponds to your logon language.

So within the HANA studio, if you right-click on your system connection on the 'Navigator Pane' and say properties - a popup appears and within there you select the database user logon, and the second tab (Additional Properties) within it. Under connection, "locale" tells you which langauge you are using to connect to the HANA database. You can change this to for e.g. German and then run a data preview on your attribute view with the text join and it will pick only the german texts/descriptions.

The same applies to UI as well . For e.g. when you connect Excel to HANA, you have the option to enter a language as part of the connection parameters.

Thanks,

Anooj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! it worked if I remove hardcoding from Language prompt.

For UI, i will check on passing paramters to HANA.

Another question - If i am creating BO reports on top of HANA, then how will language be dynamically pulled based on user Locale?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Anu, i haven't tried this in BO

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anu,

In BO, when you create the WebI report, there is an option to set the locale for the report. That can be used to get the user specific locale. I haven't successfully tried this yet, but worth looking into this option.

Also, so far I haven't been able to get the dynamic language text for Attribute views in Analytic / Calculation view. You can try that one also.

Regards,

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anu,

You can create attribute views based on other Attribute views as Reference. Is that what you are looking for.

What is the exact need as the referenced attribute views are not modifiable except for description.

Regards,

Ravi