Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APO Planning

former_member232086
Participant
0 Kudos

Experts,

We are in glassware industry and dealing with consumer goods..Our production process has many constraints like minimum production quantity ,minimum packing ,laser marking ect..Due to this kinds of issue, we are maintaining multiple codes in semI finished level but all those codes will not be the part of FG BOM,ie, if we have 3 SFG codes codes we are keeping only one in FG BOM and the other two are not part of any BOM but we need to keep those codes alive due to the process.Mainly due to minimum production issues,we are keeping codes for manual and machine process,ie, if the order is below production quantity in machine ,we will use manual code and wise versa. Our current planning is almost manual process and we are about to configure the scheduling process in APO.We have to transfer 100% our current process to APO. please suggest what is the possible option to solve the substitute related issues..How can we plan those codes which are not in BOM in APO? please help me to solve

it

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijesh,

You don't need to use APO to solve this problem, unless it gives you some other advantage.  Either way, (ERP PP or APO) the standard logic is the same for this issue.

The problem of which you speak (use one process for small runs, and another process for larger runs) is common in planning.  A common solution is to use routings that are valid for specific lot sizes.

In this case, you wouldn't have 3 different SFGs materials, you only have one, but it can be made in 2 or 3 different ways (e.g. "Manually made" and "machine made", etc).  In this way, you don't have to manually alter the picklist when you issue your SFGs to your FGs production order.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_02/helpdata/EN/e8/eb83f9715a11d1b5900000e8359890/frameset.htm

If the BOMs in the 3 SFGs parts are actually different, then you can use production versions. 

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_02/helpdata/EN/f0/0c073680cd418c9226013ae108bbeb/frameset.htm

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member232086
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB,

We cannot control the process through multiple routing without out separate SF codes as the products are not identical in machine & manual process. We need to segregate the out from manual & machine process separately in our warehouse .

Currently we are not maintain any alternate BOM of FG items due to the multiple codes of SF items due to the complexity in the process ,ie, when we are  producing an 120 pcs dinner sets ,if we have 6 SF items with alternate codes,then it would result 6 alternate BOMS for same FG items.

what if we can maintain variant codes for SF items in this case? am not familiar with variant configuration ,pls advise if it would help s.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks & Regards,

Vijesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijesh,

Well, I haven't done the analysis for your system that would lead me to the best solution for you.

So far, I know:

You have FGs with BOMs, but you occasionally deviate from these during production.

You have multiple SFGs that are usable for a given FGs, and 'Someone' knows the circumstances it is appropriate to use these during FGs manufacture.  One of these circumstances involves lot size.

The suitable SFGs in question are somehow different (form/fit/function)

You want to automate this process

You intend to use one or more APO modules.

I can't say what is the best solution.  Based ONLY upon the above statements, I would place multiple BOMs in FGs and use Production Versions for FGs. 

Best Regards,

DB49

0 Kudos

Hi,

When you say that your planning now is almost manual, do you mean that the BOM components are manually added to the production order (in cases where it varies from the one BOM available)?

If that is the case and if you are bringing the same process to APO, what is the advantage of bringing APO into picture? When the info based on which you decide the BOM components to be used is not available neither in r/3 nor APO, the system cannot plan for you for sure.

120 * 6 boms and their corresponding lot sizes could be difficult to maintain, but i dont see much value in bringing APO into picture without doing that.

You can continue with the same process in APO if you want, with the one BOM available. APO will give you a plan based on that, then you will change the production order in R/3 (am not very sure on how a new component added in r/3 which is not there in PDS/PPM will affect the order in APO, but it should work anyways, there could be surprises). but this is as good as not using APO at all.

One way out could be to bring the lot sizes and BOMs for a good chunk of the materials into APO and continue with the manual process for the remaining; gradually bringing them also into the system. 

-Sreeram

former_member232086
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sreeram,

Thanks for the detailed explanation about the process. We are planning to use interchangeability option in SNP to handle this issue. Will it work for us? Pls advise.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijesh

0 Kudos

hi,

i haven't tried this earlier, am not very sure.

i found this interesting blog on this, may be it will be helpful.

http://www.scmfocus.com/sapplanning/2009/04/21/product-interchangeability-and-scm/

-Sreeram

0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

I am interested in understanding the solution that you are planning to give, if you are ok to share and have the time for that, plz give a message (my email id is mentioned in the id).

regards,

Sreeram

Answers (0)