cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Development Infrastructure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process of installing the JDI / NW Developer Studio / NW Developer Workplace. Just wanted to know as to what sits on the server and what sits on the local PC.

what is the difference between JDI / Developer studio & Developer Workplace?

JDI needs WAS 6.40 Java and Developer Studio as the pre-requisites and on some of the threads on the forum i ahve been reading here states that DStudio sit on the local PC rather than on the WAS 6.40 Java instance. Can someone please clarify the doubts about the sequence of installation and where what component resides.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vladimir its very clear now. Thanks once again to everyone who replied to this thread.

In a Nut shell here is the software sequence that you need to install Java Development Infrastructure:

Option 1:

*Install Netweaver Developer Workplace (Installs only on MaxDB) + JDI on the Server.

*Install Netweaver Developer Studio on the Client PC(Laptop).

Option 2:

*Install WAS 6.40 JAVA with your preferred Database + JDI on the Server.

*Install Netweaver Developer Studio on the Client PC(Laptop).

Amish

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Amish,

Some comments and additions from my side too.

As Manish already wrote, the NWDS is the IDE which should be installed on every developer's local PC.

Regarding the NW Developer Workplace, it's exactly a combination of NWDS and Web AS Java 6.40. In this sense it's an abstract notion and consists of two components - the first (NWDS) installed locally and the second one (Web AS Java) installed on the remote server machine. So we could say that it's a "distributed" installation.

The JDI consists of a set of applications that are deployed to the Web AS Java, so it also sits on the server.

NB: It's important to verify that the JDI has the same SP level as the Web AS Java server! Otherwise it won't work. Also at least for the Web Dynpro development, the version of the NWDS must be the same as the SP level of the Web AS Java. You can check the latest versions on http://service.sap.com/swdc.

Hope that clarifies some questions.

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amish,

Here are your answers:

1) NW Developer Studio: sits on the local PCs. This is the IDE which developers will use for developing applications. This studio can connect to a WAS J2EE engine installed either locally or remotely.

2) Developer Workplace: This is a combination of NWDS and WAS J2EE Engine 6.40. This will also sit on the local PC.

3) JDI: This sits on the server.

Regards,

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manish / Vladimir,

Do i really need NWD Workplace then? See if i am installing WAS 6.40 Java + MSSQL DB on my server and NWDStudio on the client PC why do i need workplace? Is workplace a must and if so, should i install it on my server or the local desktop..

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Amish,

Maybe I didn't explain it very well. What I meant was that NW Developer Workplace installation is just a synonim for Web AS Java + DB + NWDS installation. You can think of it just as a convenient "all-in-one" installation. If you have installed the Web AS Java (with DB) on the server and the NWDS on the client PC's, you don't need anything else.

So to summarize it: on the remote server machine you have to install the Web AS Java 6.40 (with the DB of your choice) and the JDI on top of it. On the local client PC's you only need to install the NWDS and connect it to the server.

Hope it's clearer now.

Best regards,

Vladimir

PS. Please consider <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/index.sdn?page=crp_help.htm#posted">rewarding points</a> for helpful answers.

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amish,

Not sure about JDI and Developer Workspace but the NW Developer studio sits on your local pc. When you are ready to deploy applications you point the export to the WAS which could be local or on a server.

Regards

Daniel