Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNX on SAP BW - RunTime Measure Issues

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To All,

I am having strange issue with BI 4.0 w/SP5.  Created UNX with relational connection against BW Query. I am unable to see Run-time calculations / measure that are normally seen by BICS and even by OLAP UNV.   Anyone have issue, please suggest.

Regards,

Ajay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Relational BW-SQL Jco driver (multi-source universe) goes direct to the BW InfoProvider (and explicitly NOT to the BEx query), so this may explain the discrepancy.

Regards,
H

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Henry,

I basically need to some how create a UNX with the some functional as the older MDX based UNV.  Looks like this is just NOT possible.

Regards,

Ajay

former_member219634
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

You can create a UNX based on BW by creating a JCO connection.

Please refer to this link to see how do it :

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1656905

I hope that help you.

Best Regards

Ines

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That's correct. 

But you can still use your MDX .unv as before,  or use the BICS direct connection to BEx query.

Regards,

H

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Henry,

Problem is that it MUST be a UNX with similar functionalities as MDX based UNV so it can be used by other BI 4.x tools (Explorer, Dashboard, Crystal Enterprise).  I have been trying to request this as a feature / enchancement within BI 4.0 since the product was in beta. Now I am trying to request this feature within BI 4.1

As an employee would you know if they intent to add this feature to BI 4.1 ?

Regards,

Ajay

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I totally understand your requirement, but this feature is not (to the best of my knowledge) going to (re-)appear on the roadmap.

Like you say, UNX generation ontop of MDX BAPI or BICS API was removed post-BETA.

The associated enhancement request is submitted here: https://ideaplace.brightidea.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?idea_id={E756A620-FF27-4E8A-93D4-9E26B79114A0}   but has not been picked up.

Incidently, I believe that UNV support in Explorer is coming in 4.1 GA. (to be confirmed) - so this should help re-use your MDX .unv

There is also a billable consultancy service from SAP for exposing bex queries via function modules. This kind of bespoke customizing can bring bex queries to explorer 4.x.

You might be interested in this updated BI roadmap presentation about the supported BW features: Interestingly, 'runtime measures/calculations' are mentionned as OK in slide 13.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help..

Regards,
H

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Henry,

I have already endorsed my supported for the idea back in Jan 2012.

Ajay