cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro: Details All Vs All Planning Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Macro Experts,

In interactive planning with default macros.. what fundamental difference may exist in the results when I have the macro execution level as "Details All" Vs "All Planning Objects".

I would appreciate an example.

Thanks

Guru

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As an example, after a manual drill-down you would use "details only" to prevent your macro from execution at the "totals" level.

Regards,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anurag, James,

I am still humbly clueless. I cannot visualize.

When I am in interactive mode with a default macro that is set to execute at "All Planning Objects". the macro faithfully executes at the loaded level (from shuffler) and also when I do drill downs of any kind from header. i.e. the results I see for a macro that says add A and B and write to C is the same when I set to details all. For simplicity sake assume that C is set to disaggregate prorata to itself.

In the background however I can specify the level of grouping at which the macro executes. I can specify that sum in C at the level of Product and Location data of A and B. This means that data should be stored in A and B at the level of product and location. This can happen if A and B are atleast disaggregated pro rata.  In this case it doesnt/shouldnt matter whether the macro is set to execute at details all or all planning objects. That means this setting only has effect in interactive mode, if any.

Is my understading correct ? An example where these two settings result in different outcomes in interactive mode ?.I know this is probably very basis but when I do F1, as usual. there is too much written for something probably too elementary a thing.

Thanks

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

best examples I can think of are about interaction with the planning table, it is true that dissagregation sort of mixes thing up.

Say you want to close a keyfigure for user input at total level when user does a drill down. Or even better: say you want to hide some keyfigures at the details level when you do drill down, but you want to keep the totals for visualization. Then it is important the execution level (else you end up with IFs and ELSEs to check where the macro is going). Another example would be to colour totals (cell background) in a darker shade than details to improve planning book readibility. Again, in this case it may work well to define the execution level at macro level.

Examples with writing numbers are trickier and won't arise often (they do, it is just I don't remember one now).

regards,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James,

Full marks awarded but I cant visualize :-). For now I will live with "Details All" execution.

I attempted and understood Taniyama-Shimura conjecture but not this primary school arithmetic from sap after pouring over F1 15 times over and also using google translator to vernacular languages I am more familiar with.

Happy New Year.

Thanks

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

I completely simpatize... see it like this: most of the time you won't care whether you use "details all" or a different setting. But when you do, the user will quickly let you know (well, it will tell you that something is wrong). And sometimes, it will take one week of painful essays until you realize that the setting mattered, but this is faster than trying to find all cases beforehand (I use it a lot and still get surprises). It could also be even worse, at least dissagregation methods are "simple"

happy new year,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks J and Happy New Year

I think SAP are fully aware of their responsibilitis to confuse the users and consultants by writing cryptic help docs esp. where it can be confused best. This is something I hope they will re-write in coming years. else I am saying goodbye to my occupation next year 🙂 and do something more useful and valuable for the mankind.

Thanks

Guru.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A user pointed out exactly the same thing today.. 🙂

see my latest post

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guru,

I would like to share my understanding on the same.

Once you select Details only option in macro execution the macro's execution is only on the selected level in the planning book like : product details level or aggregated level.

But once you select the All planning object option then in the planning book if you select details all option and then try to run the macro the macro runs on all the planning levels.

regards,

Anurag