cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Method for Mass Creating Materials, BOMs & Routings

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie. I'm an engineer with access to SAP in the production environment - 1A. Production ECC (P47).

I've recently been tasked with launching a new product with many SKUs - this equates to several thousand finished good materials to be created based on the material description variants.

I've created the three basic reference material masters in MM01, from which all other finished good materials (about 10,000+) will be created. What is best method to mass create materials masters (with random material numbers) based on the three reference materials masters just described?

Each material master will have an associated bill of material, and routing. I currently have an excel spreadsheet setup for bills of material and routings based to the proposed material description for all SKUs.

I've done a little research with results pointing to t-codes: LSMW, MM17, CEWB, MASS, or some combination of all of these for this sort of thing. Most critical to the success of this project is the creation of materials masters using the three reference materials created. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dimauro.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

LSMW , I think is better .

with  LSMW, it is also possible  to create the material texts , if you d like.

before applying in the production envirnment, test it well in sandbox

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tom,

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to give it a shot. Would you happen to have a user's manual or guide other than the default SAP help reference for LSMW?

Thanks,

Dimauro.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses and posted links to more information. I'll be sure to speak with the SAP controllers/security admins at work to further gain information about access to these transactions.

Best Regards,

Dimauro.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

Would you please elaborate on what exactly the terms BDC, BAPI, and IODC mean? Is there a difference in the application of BDC vs BAPI? Would I need elevated permission in order to use BDC?

Satya,

You mentioned eCATT; could you please elaborate on this a bit more - what is eCATT? Is eCATT scripting vastly different from BDC scripting/programming?

Thanks Everyone,

Dimauro.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please look up the terms in help.sap.com

Of course there is difference how to work with those import methods in LSMW as well as different authorizations needed in processing

for some batch inputs you may need to define logical paths, and you need execution authority for SM35 transaction. For IDOC and BaPI imports you need to activate the IDOC processing in LSMW (which means you need a port and a partner profile, if you define it yourself then authorization to use WE20 and WE21 transactions). LSMW steps will vary based on the chosen import method, while you get the batch Input processing (embedded SM35 transaction) in case of batch inputs you will get steps for IDOC processing in case of IDOCs and BAPIs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimauro,

for the Material Master it would be better if you go for BDC as it is a very Dynamic Data and LSMW might not be so comfortable to use it, better is to take the help of the ABAP person anr wright a BDC.

when it comes to BOM and Routing, again if you are using the LSMW you can not have the functionality to do the Page down on the screen, so again BDC is suggested.

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Yawar Khan

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LSMW is workbench - one of the import methods is BDC. So why should then LSMW not be able to load material masters?

LSMW is much more than recording, it offers batch/direct input, IDOC and BAPI method to load material master

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

As I have tried many times, when ever I am changing Views for different material, I am not able to do the mapping for the fields,

writing a BDC is far much Simpler then the LSMW Method.

Regards,

yawar Khan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Dimauro,

Use eCATT that would be more user friendly. You can create a recording, and download the template with fixed values and variables as needed (at each field). Then update the template and run the eCATT script.

Other optionsw like LSMW, BAPI, BDC are already suggestedby other folks.

Thanks,
Satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear  Sir,

Take the help of your abaper and create BAPI OR BDC that will also help u

regards

sachin j