Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to integrate PI with webserver

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In over landscape we are using JDBC-->PI-->PROXY and PROXY-->PI-->JDBC scenarios.

Apart from this since one year client is uploading Data from third party server WS (TMS) to ERP system manually without any middle ware. But now they want to make this automated by using SAP PI.

Now when asked the WS persons about how they can share the source data to PI, they are telling that they can able to provide through Flat or XML files.

My question is, is it possible to provide the WS data through Flat or XML files..? if this is possible,can i pick the data by using File adapter from PI..?

Is there any possibility to connect with WS server by using File adapter from PI..?

Please give me your inputs on this.

Thanks in advance..!

--

Regards

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

PI File adapter can not extract files directly from a Web Server. Ask them to put the File in your SAP Folder (use NFS) or to any FTP location.

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sen,

Thanks for your reply. Yes i am trying to make this scenario by using File adapter instead of going with WS.

Can you tell me in case of WS adapter, how PI will fetch the data from it. I think WS is an online server.

Thank you.

--

Regards

Raj

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

WS adapter can be used as Direct connection or Integrated Server Communication.  Basically this adapter will be used to make communication between two SAP System's Webservice runtime. WS adapter supports Webservice reliable messaging , SAML and more security features. I dont think your Web Server is a SAP system, so the only option you have is FTP in your File channel.

Another part, if they place the files into some internal directory of the Web Server, PI file channel wont be able to pick up the files. It needs to be a FTP directory which can be accessible from your PI system.

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Sen,

Thank you.

Discussed with WS team, now they are ready to put the XML files in the external FTP server. Shall i take this FTP server as Business Component instead of taking this as Business System..?

Please suggest..!

--

With Warm Regards

Raj

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Normally we use Business Component for Non SAP Systems which are not available in Client Landscape and Business Systems for SAP Systems (where the details of the Application Server is maintained in SLD).

In your case, you can go for Business Component. The File Communication Channel (Type FTP) needs to associated with this Business Component.

Check these:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/What+is+Business+System+and+what+is+Business+Service

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7d/6b82cd0d1aef48ab5953524c9cc5b2/content.htm

Hope this answer you question.

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Sen,

Thanks a lot for your reply, in our present landscape we are having JDBC-->PI-->SAP interfaces and SAP-->PI-->JDBC interfaces. The Database was developed on  .Net application.

But now client was decided to run the database on Java.

So now we are moving these interfaces as per the requirement.

But in SAP-->PI-->JDBC interfaces case we are going to place the files in FTP instead of inserting into DB.

I mean we are changing these interfaces to SAP-->PI-->FILE scenarios.

I was joined newly in this project, but previously they have taken this FTP server as Business Component. Now I have completed all the interfaces in Dev and Quality.

Now I have to take this interfaces to Production.

So can I take the FTP server as Business Component in Production also in ID.

Please kindly suggest me..

--

With Warm Regards

Raj

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Yes you can move the interface to Production with File System as Business Component. Just one check: Before moving the Business Component to Production (add in your change list) ensure whether BC is already present in Prod or not. If already present dont include Business Component in your Transport, otherwise it will fail. And most important thing your changes in Production should be in sync with Development and Quality. As you have already developed the scenario with Business Component in Dev & QA, your Prod should also have Business Component.

Just go ahead and transport to Production. All the best.

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sen,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i have checked in Production, but Business Component was not created for this FTP server.

And I have observed that in Dev and Quality we are using the same IP address with different Business Component name.

In Dev, FTP Business Component name is BC_FTP_File

In Quality FTP name is BC_FTP_QUA_File.

As we don't have XI Admin guy, I have to ask the concern persons to get the FTP details to be configure in Production.

Shall i create the Business component directly in ID..?

Here you are telling that to transport from Quality, but my doubt is..

We will have different component names in defferent environments. So if transport the BC from Quality to Production, is it possible to edit the name of the BC..?

Please kindly suggest me..!

--

With Warm Regards

Raj

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Couple of points:

1."Yes i have checked in Production, but Business Component was not created for this FTP server." Then you need to transport the Business Component to Production.

2. "And I have observed that in Dev and Quality we are using the same IP address with different Business Component name." You can not maintain IP address in Business Component, so I am assuming you are referring to same FTP Location maintained in Communication Channel (DEV & QA). This happens when a system have single instance (no different DEV/QA/PROD). So as soon as your transport and configuration in Production completed, STOP Dev and QA channels.

3. "In Dev, FTP Business Component name is BC_FTP_File. In Quality FTP name is BC_FTP_QUA_File." It is not a Best Practice, it means Business Components are manually created in QA, but not transported from DEV. Business Component should have same name across the landscape. In DEV change it to <BC_FTP> or any relevant name and Transport to QA & Production.

4."Shall i create the Business component directly in ID..?" You should not create any BC in QA/Prod other than DEV.

5. "We will have different component names in defferent environments. So if transport the BC from Quality to Production, is it possible to edit the name of the BC..?" Already mentioned above. Rename the BC in DEV, Delete all the configuration objects in QA (and Activate), Re Traonsport to QA and Prod.

I hope all your questions are answered.

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sen,

Thanks a lot for giving such a valuable information.

--

Regards

Raj

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check with web server team where they are going to place files? if web server has internal FTP then you can connect FTP using SAP PI File adapter or if web server placing files on external FTP even in this case you can use PI File adapter.

Request then to provide valid XML file it avoind content conversion setting in PI,You need to find relevent BAPI/IDoc in ERP to update data.

What kind of ERP it is?SAP ECC?

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

Thanks for your reply, this information is giving more clarity to get the required information form that team. The movement when they told me that they are able to provide the xml/Flat files even though it is a Web server, i was confused.

Is there any possibility to keep the XML/Flat files in Web Server inetrnally in a directory..?

If it so which connection parameters i need to include during the communication channel configuration..? WS or FTP..?

My concern is about only sender communication, at receiver end already we are using the PROXY communication channels.

Thank you..

--

Regards

Raj

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ask same question to web server guys? where they are going to palce file? i think very much possible to stiore file within web server or outside web server.

if web server support web service calls then request them to explore options like if web server support WS calls then they have to code at their end to send a xml request.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

On the sender side, there are two options if you need to use a file exchange:

1) Get the WS team to provide a file share where you can read the XML files from and configure the File Sender communication channel to read these files. As Raja has pointed out already, using an XML file will avoid the need for content conversion of a flat file. Also request the WS team to provide a 'processed' directory in the share so you can enable archiving of files processed by the adapter. This scenario is good if PI is running on Windows Server and the source system is running on Windows also

2) Get the WS team to provide an FTP server and configure the File Sender communication channel to use FTP instead of NFS. This scenario is better if say you have PI and the source system on different operating systems. Even better is if you have PI 7.3 because you can now use SFTP out of the box while FTPs has always been there as an option

There are plenty of examples on SCN for configuring the Sender File Adapter. Have a read of them first and then come back with any specific questions.

Good luck!

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Raja,

Discussed with WS team, now they are ready to put the XML files in the external FTP server. Shall i take this FTP server as Business Component instead of taking this as Business System..?

Please suggest..!

--

With Warm Regards

Raj

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Now this seems to become simple as they are ready to share the XML files through external FTP. My concern is about the how can i take the component type..whether i have to take it as Business system or Business componet..

--

With Warm Regards

Raj

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raj,

One more way to achive this can be Mount the WS directory(where the xml file will be kept) on your PI server (Network team would be able to help). Thereafter using NFS protocol in File adapter you can pick the file and proceess it.

Thanks,

Sunil Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

You can use the scenario as File to SOAP receiver to achieve your requirement.

Regards,

Sagarika

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sagarika,

Thanks for your reply, at receiver end already we are using PROXY communication for exsting interfaces from DB.

--

Regards

Raj

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is there any possibility to connect with WS server by using File adapter from PI..?

No.

If they share the file using ftp or NFS via then you can use file adapter.  If they are sharing the file via web server then I would guess that this can be achieved using java proxy. 

former_member593220
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Bhaskar,

Thanks for your quick reply. Today i had a discussion with the people who is going to provide the source data from that Third party system. They are able to provide the source information via Flatfile/XML even though it is a Web server. Please tell me how this could be possible.

Thank you.

--

Regards

Raj