cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace JVM on ABAP system

maryjane_steele2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Do I have to replace the JVM on my ABAP systems with the SAP JVM?  Do I have to use the switch tool?  I am a little unlcear, because JAVA is only used for SUM, etc.  Thanks for the clarification, points will be rewarded.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

maryjane_steele2
Active Participant

OK, so in order to switch to the SAP JVM on an ABAP system do I use the switch tool or do I just install the old version, install the new one and update the JAVA_HOME?

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hope you are doing good.

The best option will be to use the switch tool than do this manually.

Below will help:

<http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2012/06/06/sap-jvm-switch-guide-with-scree...>

Thank you and have a nice day :).

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think you need to explicitly upgrade your JVM. Your system is probably already running the 720 downward compatible kernel.  JVM for ABAP will be part of the kernel and that is what VMC / IPC will use.

you can check the version here /sapmnt/<SID>/exe/jkit/jre/bin

Regards

Amit Padmawar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

As we know, VMC is a component that is integrated into the SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP. It provides a JRE that is compatible with J2SE 1.4. However, we should not to be confused with the SAP NetWeaver AS Java, which provides a runtime environment that is completely compatible with J2EE.

Starting with kernel 7.01, the VMC is available in each release. The VM container patches are contained in the DW.SAR archive or in the SAPEXE.SAR archive.

So, replacing with SAP JVM on your ABAP system will do nothing..... For other tools like SUM etc. your current JRE will surely work.

Divyanshu

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mary Jane,

the manual installation steps are valid for SAP systems. Usually

the J2EE server uses SAPJVM. The ABAP system does not need any JVMs.

The onyl exception that comes to mind if is you are installing the Eclipse dev tool on your abap server, then would need a JVM.

regards,

Paul