cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Decommissioning Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

We have a need to decomission an xRPM landscape (running on ECC 6.0).  This landscape is no longer needed by the business, and it has been decided to shutdown SAP (may be uninstall also), release the IPs, storage etc. 

I would like to know more in depth as to what it takes to decomission an SAP landscape.  What are the complications that can arise with it in future?

Would be grateful if anyone of you have experiences with this exercise.

Thanks,

Abdul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I belive you did a platform migration or upgrade. This is a busines decesion, legel and audit requirement from  industry point of view and law of the specific country.

For example for healthcare industry in US minimum requirement of old production system is 3 - 6 months and for bank and insurance 6 - 9 months. For all cases, you have to take backup and  uninstall SAP + DB and destroy all data ( format /erase disk).

There is no rule or guide line for non-production system.

Regards,

Dipam

premsukh_bishnoi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

Normally customer would take a backup of database for some year(If it required in any case then it can be restored).

Alsl take a backup of profile (Customizing, configuration things).

Kind Regards, Premsukh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am assuming this is a productive system.

Decomissioning an ECC productive environment can have legal as well as business ramifications. In most of the countries there is a legal requirement to retain business data for specific number of years depending on your type of business and country. 

You have to keep that in mind before taking any step. Talk to the business stakeholders and legal department of your company.

Being an admin, i would rather be safe then sorry.

- take a backup and keep that safe.

- If someone needs it, keep it read-only for those users.  Migrate the system to a low cost hardware/storage.

- you can also look for some cheap online hosting for this system like amazon.

it totally depends on your business requirements and as an admin i dont think you should take this call.

Yogesh