cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM and BW transports (sequencing and process)

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We use ChaRM for the migration of our BW transports.

Sequencing is very important in BW and we've experienced a few problems with the go-live of recent implementation projects.

The major issue is that if a transport fails during import, the import job continues to run and import the remaining transports.  ChaRM imports in the order the transports were released, which is fine.  However, if one transport fails, surely the job should stop running?  It seems that the job continues importing the other transports which means everything has been imported out of sequence and left us with a bit of a mess.

A transport can fail for a number of reasons.  ie. data in production

Therefore, is it possible to stop an import job as soon as something fails?

How are other people/company using BW with ChaRM?  BW transports are more complicated and sequence is ultra import (infoobjects etc.).  We don't have too many problems with ECC go-lives, but BW always seems to present a challenge.

If someone can answer my above question and give me some general feedback/information in regards to BW and ChaRM, it would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS! 

Shaun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Shaun,

We also use ChaRM in our landscape for our BI transport track. We have encountered numerous difficulties in using the same process we use for our other ABAP and non-ABAP product landscapes.  As you mentioned the biggest problem is that BI usually does not work with an "import all/project" approach as transports need to be sequenced and can involve pre/post manual activities in between transports.

We have devised a way of doing BI transport related rollouts, however this is a mixture of ChaRM and using traditional SAP transport operation.  First of all we only use Urgent Corrections for BI as we need to control the sequence of the import of changes, we never do an "import all/project" even on project close as re-import of transports can (more often than not WILL) cause problems.  When a transport is imported to test we immediately check to see if it has failed (rc>=8), if it has it is checked by the BI team.  Based on feedback we either reimport the transport after manual changes in the Test system, create a corrective transport or mark the transport as an expected failure using the Task List using action "Correct Import Manually".  This can be documented in the change so when it is time for it to go to Production the resolution is clear (i.e. follow same process as Test system). 

When we do a BI release rollout we do one change at a time in sequence stopping for any pre/post activities and unexpected failures.  We looked at a number of approachs and found this to be the best and safest for our BI landscape, it is as you can imagine though quite a "manual" process relative to rest of the ChaRM managed product landscapes.  I believe there have since been some SAP notes on this, but after the issues we encountered in the past would suggest intensive testing of any mass import approach for BI.

Although probably not the answer you were looking for, hope this helps.

Paul

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul!

You're right, probably not the exact answer I was hoping for...BUT...it was a very informative post and it gives me something to think about.

Your approach is probably the best I've heard so far for BI changes and based on your reply we may do something similiar!  THANK YOU.

Shaun

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bump