Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving oracle to asm

andreev_denis
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello.

I need advice on migration of oracle 11.2.0.3 database to ASM.

I've read documents from http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7971.

It is unclear for me how to proceed with existing installation. I have sap instance, java instance, db instance installed on the same AIX host.

Guides recommend to install rdbms and grid under user oracle. I'm in doubt what to do with existing rdbms installation under user ora<sid>.

It seems that guides describe migration to separate host, but i want to do it on the same host.

Should i delete database software and then install it with user oracle?

Or can i chown oracle software?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreev,

> Guides recommend to install rdbms and grid under user oracle. I'm in doubt what to do with existing rdbms installation under user ora<sid>.

Yes - you need to install all the components with the user "oracle", but this does not harm your current running system in any case. As you want to migrate to ASM - you will use "shared" resources like the ASM instance and so you usually also use a shared oracle software installation for all the database instances.

From the documentation you already referred to:

• <IHRDBMS> = If you are running multiple databases from the same Oracle Home install the software to '/oracle/RDBMS/11202'.
  • <OHGRID> = ‘/oracle/GRID/11202’, ‘/oracle/GRID/11203’, ...

As you can see there is no conflict at all and you just have to set the symbolic link to the "new" <IHRDBMS> later on. "chown" is not recommended and not needed in case of a shared environment.

Regards

Stefan

andreev_denis
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan.

Thank you for your answer. I thought that '/oracle/RDBMS' is only for multiple databases. Now it is clear for me.

Answers (0)