cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To find out which tables require reorganization or updating stats in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hie all,

One of my production system's performance has gone down drastically. And the management has asked to find out tables which require re-organization or updating statistics to improve the system performance.

Now my query is how to find out which tables in my production system which is causing slowness requires re-organization or updating stats.

Is there any ABAP program or a SQL script to find out tables that are highly used and which causes the slowness in the system. Is there anyway to find out tables whose stats are not updated or re-org ed from past a long time due to which system gets slow while accessing those tables and which are heavy in size and requires a reorganization.

My system in on ORACLE 11g

SAP EHP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0

Please suggest on the above.

BR,

Mohammed

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

> And the management has asked to find out tables which require re-organization or updating statistics to improve the system performance.

Your management should ask a completely different question before shooting silver bullets like reorganization or updating database statistics. The question is "In which area did the performance drop and has this anything to do with the database and if so in which particular area".

> Now my query is how to find out which tables in my production system which is causing slowness requires re-organization or updating stats.

You can get the database objects with the highest activity (like physical reads or so) from an Oracle AWR report, but this does not mean that these objects are causing the performance issue.

If you already have scheduled the "Gather statistics job" via DB13 or scheduled the brconnect run by crontab - everything should be fine with the database statistics. The BR*Tools have an internal algorithm for gathering statistics if desired. However it is NOT important to have new/actual statistics, they just have to be representative.

> Is there any ABAP program or a SQL script to find out tables that are highly used and which causes the slowness in the system.

You can get detailed information about runtime statistics with transactions like STAD, ST03n and correlate this information with ST04/DBACOCKPIT, if the issue is located on database level. However SAP / Oracle tuning is a very complex topic which can not be accomplished by just running a report or a SQL script.

Regards

Stefan