Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTS Upgrade Approach

kardam0409
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a plan to upgrade GTS from 7.1 to 10.0. There are 2 approaches taken by  the Client is - a dual landscape with Proof of Concept and without POC.

1st Approach - With POC -

1. Create a new seperate Development system D1, technically upgrade to GTS 10.0 and conduct POC/Assessment.
  2. After 3 months when actual project system pipleline is available (ECC is also upgrading), upgrade D2 technically to GTS 10.0.
  3. Migrate D1 to D2.
  4. After Unit Testing, the D2 will be migrated to Q1,  after UAT, the Q1 will be migrated to Production (after Production is technically upgraded).

With this approach, the benefit I see is a safe approach where you can mitigate risk and challenges well in advance before migrating to the actual project pipeline.

2nd Approach - Without POC-

1. Wait for the actual project system pipeline availability.
  2. Start upgrading D2 when it is available. This will be all in parallel to ECC upgrade in D8. The D2 (GTS) and D8 (ECC) will be connected.
  3. Same as step 4 above.

With this approach, the benefit I see is, 1st - less cost, 2nd - no double effort.

When I compare both the approaches, no doubt both go by dual landscape not touching the exisitng production pipeline, I see the 1st approach better however I have no idea of what effort will be required to migrate from D1 to D2 and this is for global countries.

Has anyone done the upgrade with the 1st approach and can share some experience with more Pros and Cons? Also provide the recommendation.

Regards,

Kardam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kardam,

You don't mention the scope of the GTS implementation, and that could make a big difference to any recommendation.  For example, are you talking about Compliance Management functions, or Preference, or Customs Management, etc?

One big consideration should be the significant additional sophistication in the feeder system interfaces these days.  Your "with PoC" approach presumably doesn't include an upgraded ERP system until step 2 - in that case, you won't be able to do any integration testing, so step 1 could be quite limited (as I say, depends a lot on your scope).

I'd say that "with PoC" can save elapsed time (allow an earlier go-live), but "without PoC" saves total effort.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kardam0409
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Dave for your reply.

The scope is Compliance (no License check on Import), Customs with US AES(no import) and Risk (only LoC).

I right now don't have the information on whether they  will have similar upgrade ECC system to connect to D1 but I think there will be a ECC system to be connected to D1.

I agree with your saying that we won't be able to do any integration testing until Step 2. This is something I need to check for.

I also need to mention the time to get actual project D2 system is just 3 months after POC system upgraded.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Kardam