Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Server storage capacity clarification

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

hi All,

From my observations so far on document storage using DMS Server (External Server), It will be of great help if you can clarify me on below.

Q-1) In CV02N/CV03N - When the User double clicks on Original file which is in 'Checked-In' (Locked icon displayed) status, the Original file is getting stored in DMS server - with Date & time the file is opened. Even, if the Original file is deleted from both the DMS Server & Original file path, the Original still opens and the previous record is replaced with the new Date & time the file is opened. So, In case I end up reaching the Max DB Storage limit (Ex: 500GB) at certain point in time, Can I just delete the Original files from DMS Server and thus have space available for storage of new documents?. the other option will be archiving the files in a backup storage server.

Q-2) Observed that there is 'Data block' value generated in Hexadecimal format in table 'DMS_CONT1_CD1' when storing the documents using DMS_C1_ST as storage category with 'Use KPro' check for document type. Is it because the system is generating a PHIO_ID, LOIO_ID the user is able to view the Original even though it is deleted from both DMS Server & Original file path?.

I hope using DMS_C1_ST as storage category will not have any negative impact on SAP DB. Please give me your suggestions.

-thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi sdn sap,

Q-1) In CV02N/CV03N - When the User double clicks on Original file which is in 'Checked-In' (Locked icon displayed) status, the Original file is getting stored in DMS server - with Date & time the file is opened. Even, if the Original file is deleted from both the DMS Server & Original file path, the Original still opens and the previous record is replaced with the new Date & time the file is opened. 

What method you used to delete the file? Is it that, your deleting original file in DIR or you are deleting DIR itself?

So, In case I end up reaching the Max DB Storage limit (Ex: 500GB) at certain point in time, Can I just delete the Original files from DMS Server and thus have space available for storage of new documents?. the other option will be archiving the files in a backup storage server.

Every organization will have a policy on retention of data or documents. Discuss with your business and come an agreement on how long they want to retain the documents. Based on that, you take next suitable action.

Q-2) Observed that there is 'Data block' value generated in Hexadecimal format in table 'DMS_CONT1_CD1' when storing the documents using DMS_C1_ST as storage category with 'Use KPro' check for document type. Is it because the system is generating a PHIO_ID, LOIO_ID the user is able to view the Original even though it is deleted from both DMS Server & Original file path?.

The best way of deleting DIR is to mark them for deletion (CV02N) & then run the program MCDOKDEL. Because it also clears the PHIO and LOIO of originals.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Amaresh,

thanks for your inputs. In response to your questions:

What method you used to delete the file? Is it that, your deleting original file in DIR or you are deleting DIR itself?

I deleted only the 'Original file' from the Original path (source of file) and in DMS server. Not the DIR.

And, I am aware of How to set the Deletion flag for a DIR. I have refered other posts on here also.

Thanks once again.

-Regards

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on what policy your client/ business has on document retention.

Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correct

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member210673
Participant
0 Kudos

Any advise on the above issue?.