cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forward Navigation to text elements and message ED225

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm attempting to assign text elements to previously defined literals that are scattered in a Abap Webdynpro app.

In a typical abap program when you dbl-click the literal the editor sends you to the text element screen, populates the literal in an open line and assigns a number. When you press save at that screen and then <back>, the literal in the abap program is suffix with the text element number.

For example:

From

lv_lbl_inv_ref = 'Reference#'.

To

lv_lbl_inv_ref = 'Reference#'(001).

However, when I perform that same operation within any method of a Webdynpro method I receive message ED225 (Object not found; You cannot create using forward navigation).

Why is that?

Sure, I can cut and paste the literal and type the (###) but I have 50 literals to map!

Thanks

Leo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amy_king
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leo,

This is just an educated guess as to SAP's reason, but text symbols in WDA are not stored in the WDA component but rather in the component's assistance class. My guess is SAP either can't or doesn't want to allow the forward creation of data in a different object.

Incidentally, although the compiler will recognize myvar = 'Text'(001) as a legal statement, you are not actually tying into the assistance class text symbols with that statement. What is actually assigned to myvar is just the local string 'Text'. You can prove this to yourself by trying the equivalent assignment myvar = text-001. You'll see that myvar is empty after the assignment.

To access text symbols in WDA, you need to go through the assistance class...

myvar = wd_assist->if_wd_component_assistance~get_text( '001' ).

or if you created an alias for the method in your assistance class...

myvar = wd_assist->get_text( '001' ).

Cheers,

Amy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amy

Spot on as always.

Thanks

Leo

Answers (0)