cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe design + hierarchically organised table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have in my database a table for categories, this table contains 3 level of categories, parent categories (level 0), sub categories (level 1) and child categories (level 2). Each category has an ID, a level, a name and a parent ID.

In terms of universe design (data foundation and business layer) I have no idea how to approach this...

I have another table containing metrics for each of the categories per day, the 2 tables link via the category ID, but ideally, I should be able to create a query, specify that I only want to see parent categories, or sub categories, or child categories, specify dates and all the aggregations should for automagic...

In the data foundation, should I have my category table only 1 time with a join to itself? Or should I use aliases?

In the business layer, should I create 1 dimension for each type of category? Or only 1 dimension and somehow later specify the level?

If anyone has any example it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Seb

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marc_daniau
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You may want to look at the sample universe below where the sales organization hierarchy has been designed using aliases in the data foundation.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-22145

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you I will have a look straight away

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

What are you trying to achieve? Modelling a hierarchical relationship between the category levels?

That would be done in the custom hierarchy editor - please search the appliction's help files for "

About navigation paths for objects"

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, what I'm trying to achieve is not actually clear... I'm very new to universe design, but from what I understand, I would like to allow people to drag and drop the categories (in the query panel either from crystal reports or from webI), and then select some metrics and see the aggregated data and be able to drill.

I just came across this article that describes exactly my problem:

http://www.dagira.com/2010/06/16/universe-models-for-recursive-data-part-i-introduction/

So now I'm trying to understand what my options are...