Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB restoration on Higher version with lower version

giri_dharan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am trying to restore oracle DB backup, which was backed up with oracle version 10.2.0.2.

Currently all the machines were upgraded to 10.2.0.4, but our requirement is to restore the DB 10.2.0.2 (System copy) on 10.2.0.4 oracle version.

The best way I know is to uninstall oracle 10.2.0.4 on the target server and install 10.2.0.2, restore DB, perform RDBMS patch upgrade & upgrade DB.

But our requirement is to restore the oracle DB 10.2.0.2, on the system with oracle version 10.2.0.4 without uninstalling the software.

Please suggest, is there any way to do the same.

Regards,

Giridharan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

giri_dharan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Finally the issue was resolved with the most simplified steps.

1) In the target system, stop all oracle services and rename the $ORACLE_HOME\bin folder to bin_old. (which is oracle 10.2.0.4)

2) Copy the bin folder from the source system (which is oracle 10.2.0.2) and paste it in the target $ORACLE_HOME

3) Start the services and start the DB restoration, create the control file from trace and make the database open & open resetlogs.

4) Now shut down DB and stop oracle services and delete or rename the current $ORACLE_HOME\bin folder (which is 10.2.0.2) and rollback the bin_old folder as bin.

5) Next start DBUA and upgrade DB and continue.

6) Once finished the DB is now 10.2.0.4.

Enjoy.... 🙂

Thanks to all comments.

Regards,

Giridharan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds good.. Just to add ..just perform dbcheck and db stats update from db13 and ensure everthing is clear.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you can not run a 10.2.0.2 DB on 10.2.0.4 binaries.

It is supported, to restore a 10.2.0.2 DB to run a recovery from a 10.2.0.4 software, but in this case it is required, that you recover the entire upgrade process, so that the DB is on 10.2.0.4 as you open it. I guess you do not have these logs available.

If you use the same SID (means, you did restore binary controlfiles), the state is as if you just did apply the patch to your software. So you need to run the upgrade scripts for the DB catalog right after the start.

If you did change the SID by creating new controlfiles on the restored 10.2.0.2 DB with 10.2.0.4 binaries I think you will not get this to work. I am not sure if this version missmatch could be the reason for your error message, which is normally related to an online backup is not recovered up to END BACKUP.

It might be an option to install a second ORACLE_HOME with 10.2.0.2. just for the recovery.

Change the environment to point to this ORACLE_HOME.

Create controlfiles an get the DB to work on 10.2.0.2. with the 10.2.0.2 HOME

Open the DB and make sure everything works.

Shutdown the DB.

Change the Environment back to the original 10.2.0.4.

Proceed as if you just updated the binaries to 10.2.0.4 and run the catalog migration.

System will be on 10.2.0.4 then.

De-Install the 10.2.0.2 HOME

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Giridharan,

It is possible to restore a backup from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 release. Be sure the "compatible" parameter has been set to "10.2.0" in the Oracle profile.

Please note that it is not recommend to restore the database from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 on the productive system.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

giri_dharan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

I had already set the "compatible" parameter to 10.2.0 and tried the restoration, but while performing open reset logs the system is showing that the data files are inconsistent and need more recovery. But the backup type is full offline, where this recovery is not at all needed.

Is this behavior due to compatibility issue ?

Regards,

Giridharan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Giridharan,

>> But the backup type is full offline, where this recovery is not at all needed. Is this behavior due to compatibility issue ?

As far as understand that this error should not be caused due to a compatibility issue. Do you have a backup log file? So, you can double check the backup type.

If you upload the log file, here I can make a check.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

giri_dharan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

The backup type=offline_force, which was taken with oracle 10.2.0.2 version.

Any clue on the same, why open reset logs shows data file recovery error.

Thanks & Regards,

Giridahran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Giri,

You can follow the procedure below;

Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

But, you need to make some changes on it. But, Volker said at the end of it, the database version will be 10.2.0.4

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik