Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace Return Codes..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Can any explain what is the significance of below return Codes in ST01

Return codes of System Trace is as follows:-

0 = Authorization check passed
1 = No authorization
2 = Too many paramaters for authorization check
3 = Object not contained in user buffer
4 = No profile contained in user buffer
6 = Authorization check incorrect
7, 8, 9 = Invalid user buffer

I have only come accross 0,4,12 that too from my end it has a meaning . Rest of the return codes i have never seen .

RC= 0 Check for authorization successful.
RC= 4 Check for authorization unsuccessful. User has authorization object in his user buffer but with different values than what are checked.
RC= 12 Check for authorization unsuccessful. User doesn’t have authorization object in user buffer.

So ,Could you please explain in what circumstances the above said Return Codes appear .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Can any one explain this..

Thanks,

Apoorv

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anybody answer this question...

0 Kudos

<ancient release dependent linkfarming removed by moderator>

0 Kudos

I was about to answer your question but Varun Jain did a google search for you and posted a link for you, which may or may not be of use.

I suggest that you first deal with Varun (you will know why you are asking this obsolete question if you used google yourself), and then we can proceed further.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Truly speaking, I have never seen any return code in ST01 trace except 0,4 and 12. After seeing this question, I just did google and found this information below which I sent to Approv.

The return codes that come from the kernel call during an authorization check are 0,4, 8 etc. just as you have seen.

But when they are written to an ST01 trace they are translated to 0, 1,2,3 etc.

I don't know how much relevant this information is. Can you pls share your more thoughts.

Thanks,

Varun Jain

0 Kudos

Hello Julius ,

Could you please share more thoughts on what Varun has to Say.  I also found on Google that

The return codes that come from the kernel call during an authorization check are 0,4, 8 etc. just as you have seen.

But when they are written to an ST01 trace they are translated to 0, 1,2,3 etc.----what does this mean?

Could you pls explain that then why in ST01 Trace we get only 0, 4, 12 and not 0,1,2,3 etc.......

Thanks,

Apoorv

Message was edited by: Apoorv Mehrotra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Can any one explain this..

Thanks,

Apoorv

0 Kudos

Hi Apoorv,

I guess there is some BASIS setting that translates values from Kernel, you can check with any one with extensive BASIS experience to confirm this.

The values like 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 were used in SAP versions 4.6 and below, i have only seen 0,4,8,12,16 in upgraded system, maybe it is a result of some enhancement or SP.

0 Kudos

Hello Abhinav ,

Thanks for your answer .

I have come across only 0 , 4 , 12

Could you pls let me know for which versions u came across 8 , 16 and wt does that value means?

0 Kudos

Hi Apoorv,

You need to tell us which release you are on. Most likely your question is irrelevant for current supported releases...

If you place your cursor in the authority-check statement and hit F1 on the keyboard, you will most likely see that in addition to 0, 4, and 12, there are 2 other values.

24 will now no longer be set as the runtime syntax checks are stricter and it will error on transport, unless the developer tried to hide the syntax check in which case quality controls should find it as it is going to dump anyway.

40 is only applicable for the contruct of a foreign user check (FOR USER extention) and the application program performing the check did not prior catch the non-existence of the user or it was subsequently deleted after the name was set in the table which the user variable is being passed from. For this reason you should not delete user IDs, as the application program can react to this return code with "user is not authorized" or "user is locked". This prevents people from immortalizing themselves in the system - which is sadly neglected even although you will seldom see this return code....

Just use the F1 key. It is a release dependent gemstone most of the time...  🙂

Cheers,

Julius