cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environments Required For Oracle RAC Setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I would like to know if we can have a NON-RAC Oracle DB and SAP setup on DEV and QUA/TRN and then an Oracle RAC and SAP setup for Production. Will SAP object during the golive? Is there a requirement that we must have an Oracle RAC and SAP setup on QUA and on Prod?

Can someone please confirm this point? It would be great if you can even point me to some SAP note or document where this is mentioned.

Thanks and Regards,

Augustine

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member213250
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Augustine

I think you might be aware of this point, just to reiterratte...

Main puporse of 3 Tier landscape is avoid unnecessary production down situations.

When ever you want perform any sort of updates on Production Systems,  especially with

GO-LIVE with new product or UPGRADES, it is always recommended to test it before

implement on Production system.

Especially with high availabilty systems like ORACLE-RAC configurations it need a lot carefull and very well test environments cause of the complication of DB cluster configurations.

I have seen many issues with RAC system configurations.

It will be very risky to have RAC configuration on production system with out test environments.

FYI here are some SAP on ORACLE-RAC  systems

SAP Note No. 527843 :- Oracle RAC support in the SAP environment

SAP Note No. 581320 :- FAQ: Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC)

Hope it can be of some help.

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat, Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I understand and agree 100% with you. I would like to know if you are not working in SAP then in your organization wherever you are working, if you have implemented SAP already, then are you on RAC? If so how is the setup there with regards to the landscape?

Regards,

Augustine

former_member213250
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Augustine

I work at SAP, I myself tried to implement a RAC Test environment, but the system was always inconsistent with OS level authorisations and high avialabilty issue .

So haven't had a real time exp. with RAC Lanndscape configurations.

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Venkat.

I think I get the feel of what its like 😉

Anyway, I would like to know that RAC also supports SAP components on cluster and they provide utility called sapctl or something like that. So did you try the HA for all SAP components or just the databases?

Thanks

Augustine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Augustine,

Paul and Venkat provided a very good information.

We have some good installation docs in the service market specific to SAP on HA which has got vital information , let me know if you are unable to find I can help you.

Ours QA and Prod are on complete HA includes database,sapctl.

Fortunately i did not had issues specific to oracle RAC database ,only  few times encounterd issues with sapctl services.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

Medha D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Medha, I am sorry for the late response, but thank you very much especially for confirming that the sapctl was included in the setup. It is clear now.

Regards,

Augustine

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Augustine,

I will try to find an official statement on this but generally High Availability set-ups, like clusters and RAC are only used in Production system where availability is needed to be guaranteed.

Most customers only implement high availability in Prod as it takes some extar effort to setup and maintain. Only if dev or qa systems needed to be available at all times, would you perhaps impement it in non-prod systems. I find no recommendation that it needs to be across the environment from dev - qa - prod as it doesnt affect the actual sap system, it just gives support for uptime in case of an issue, but only for the system itself. eg. RAC in Prod only affects prod and has no reliance of RAC being implemented in Dev or QA

regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your prompt assistance.

I got your point and yes you are absolutely right on that.

However I remember coming across some note in SAP which mentioned about have a Pre-Prod or QUA environment on RAC if we need to have a golive from SAP for the Production. So Im not sure about this now and I unfortunately don't remember the SAP Note number. I've been searching for it for quite sometime but unable to find it though!

Do let me know when you get some official document and I would be so glad.

Thanks a lot again and see you around.

Regards,

Augustine