cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Multiple Fixed Bins" possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am very new to WMS and I am now doing investigation on putaway strategies. As far as I notice, SAP provides strategy for dynamic bin, i.e. one material number will be located in different bins, even the bins are physically far away from each other.

In other case, we would like to enjoy the multiple bins function in WMS, but not really want the "dynamic" function since it may make difficulties in daily operation since the bins for one material may be too dynamic. So I want to know is it possible to have "multiple fixed bins"?

What I mean multiple fixed bins is, a material may be assigned to different storage type, but must within a certain bins, say 01-01-01 to 01-01-10. And the material may even be located in different area in one storage type.

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Steven

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

"So I want to know is it possible to have "multiple fixed bins" (in one storage type, as this is what you are asking)?"

In ERP: No. In EWM: Yes.

In ERP per storage typ you can only assign one bin to each material. You can try what you want to archive by cutting a storage type into several sections and use this to use only small parts of one storage types for certain materials, but the strategy would still be "next empty bin" or something, but not "fixed bin".

Brgds

Juergen

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thanks for the reply. Locate fixed bins in different storage types are original my proposal, but I've just noticed that the removal strategies, say FIFO and LIFO, works probably only within one storage type. I think SAP is not propose to divide the storage type as what I proposed (by floor). So I think only multiple fixed bins in one storage type can suit our business need.

Divide the storage bins into sections are also being thought, but it's hard for us to create an individual section for each material (though we just have 70,000 materials).

I may need to discuss with users on design of SAP WM.

Thanks,

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steven ,

We might endup creating too many storage types by dividing storage types by floor .

Storage section creation and  search can be done accordingly so that if a material is bound to move in first two floors. we can create sections 001 ( for first floor ) 002 for second floor , there might also be 003 , 004  ..etc.

our aim is to move material A to only first two floors, so we can define search criteria say A11 ,  and assign section 001 , 002 to it.

All material which  satisfy's this criteria can be placed within this search sequence.

Such practice can be used effectively to ship fast moving materials and slow moving ones wherein we place fast moving ones at lower sections to reduce picking  lead time.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Jinoy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are maintaining the material in different stoarge types, then you can maintain multiple fixed bins using fixed bin strategy (putaway or stock removal) and maintain the fixed bin number in the material master in WM2 view.

When you assign the search stragey for the storage types, you need to enter the sequence of storage types for which the system can pick based on it during putaway or stock removal.

Please note that you need to extend the WM2 view for the storage types in the material master in order to maintain the fixed bins.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steven ,

Material can be moved to different storage types , its possible to assign different storage type in search sequence  .

For range on bins selection within storage type  ,  storage section search criteria can be used effectively to achieve same.

Thanks

Jinoy